Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Bean (1843)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lee50

Lee50 Report 12 Mar 2013 12:35

After so much help from people on here yesterday, I am cheekily asking for some more!!

Could anyone tell me the maiden name of the woman GEORGE BEAN (b1843) married please. Her first name was MARY.

Also if there is any information on who her parents were.

It would really help me. Thank you.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 12 Mar 2013 12:36

Have you tried Freebmd Alisa?
You do not give a location.
Jan

jansmith

jansmith Report 12 Mar 2013 12:40

for info is it this couple?

Name:
George Bean

Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1843

Relation:
Head
Spouse's Name:
Mary Bean
Where born:
Croydon, Surrey, England
Civil parish:
Croydon
Ecclesiastical parish:
Christchurch
Town:
Croydon
County/Island:
Surrey
England

jansmith

jansmith Report 12 Mar 2013 12:42

if there is a child the best thing to do is get a birth cert for a child as this will give mothers mn

Andrew

Andrew Report 12 Mar 2013 12:45

Correct family?

1871 England Census
about George Bean
Name: George Bean
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary Bean
Where born: Croydon, Surrey, England
Civil parish: Croydon
Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch
Town: Croydon
County/Island: Surrey
Registration district: Croydon
Sub-registration district: Croydon
ED, institution, or vessel: 22
Household schedule number: 144
Piece: 842
Folio: 143
Page Number: 27
Household Members: Name Age
George Bean 28
Mary Bean 32
Mary Bean 5
John Bean 3
Sarah Bean 1

If so, maybe

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1863 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEAN George William Croydon 2a 280
SPARKS Mary Croydon 2a 280

Andy

Andy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Mar 2013 12:46

Try looking for the info yourself.......much more rewarding

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

The fun of family history is finding info yourself..................

Her father (if she knew him) will be named on the marriage cert

Lee50

Lee50 Report 12 Mar 2013 13:10

Thank you everyone.

I had tried looking for the information myself, but I was getting MARY BEAN, I needed to get her maiden name so I could go further back, and each site I tried required you to have membership or credits. I got some information from the Ancestry site, but couldn't work out if it was correct because I couldn't marry up the info.

Thanks Andy, I will look for Mary Sparks. What I do believe is that they had 7 daughters, (although I don't know their names) and I know 7 trees were planted for for them which became the Seven Sisters Road in London.

Mary

Mary Report 12 Mar 2013 13:42

Mary Sparks born 1839 in Horley Surrey to Thomas 1811 and Sarah 1816.

Mary bean died 1873 and George william bean and son john born 1867 with George's parents

1871 D22 > 28 in Croydon next door to thomas Sparks brother to Mary Sparks.

Did Mary and George have the 7 daughters plus John in only ten years of marriage!Poor lady.

Maryb.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Mar 2013 14:13

According to this the trees were 500 years old in 1840:

The Seven Sisters, situated on Page Green, Tottenham, were originally Elms planted in a circle, and in 1840 were said to be about 500 years old. The trees were replanted in 1886, a little further to the east by the (7) Hibbert sisters. Seven Lombardy Poplars were again replanted on 31st December 1955 by the (7) Basten sisters of North London. It is possible that the site was an early sacred grove and that the name Page Green is derived from Pagans Green. The location of the trees may denote a place where people were burnt at the stake.
The Seven Sisters Road, which starts nearby, was constructed in 1833 to provide a link across the countryside from Tottenham to Holloway

Mary

Mary Report 12 Mar 2013 14:18

There could be up to 9 Roads of that name in London according to Google.

Maryb.

Lee50

Lee50 Report 12 Mar 2013 14:50

Sorry, my mistake..... 2 generations too early! George + Mary Beans daughter Mary married John Mcrae had 7 daughters. It was them who planted the trees.

http://tottenham-summerhillroad.com/seven_sisters_trees_tottenham_.htm

What is definitely a matter of public record is the planting that took place in 1852 to replace the group that had stood there for 500 years. Seven sisters from the McRae family did the honours and the tradition was born. Unfortunately the trees didn’t last long and were in turn replaced in 1886, this time by the Hibbert sisters, another local family. A report in the Tottenham Herald at the time headlined ‘an interesting Ceremony at Tottenham’, describes how 2,000 people turned out on a muddy March day to watch the ceremony. The ground was said to be ‘as soft as butter’ after days of rain and snow, with people sinking in up to their ankles.

A huge cheer went up as each sister in turn helped to plant one of the trees. Speeches were made, each sister was presented with a brooch in the shape of a spade, and then the official party went off to the nearby Seven Sisters hotel to celebrate.

So Mary, no she didn't have 7 daughters in 10 years...lol....yes it would have been awful!!