Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Sylann

Sylann Report 9 May 2013 19:42

Could some kind person tell me a free site where I can view WW1 records
please

Flip

Flip Report 9 May 2013 19:47

If you are looking for deaths this is free

http://www.cwgc.org/

Otherwise, you can try the national archives site (pay for the record) or Ancestry/FMP, but both of those are subscription sites.

Someone else may correct me, but I don't think the actual records are available free, and the vast majority of records have been destroyed.

Sylann

Sylann Report 9 May 2013 19:49

Thank you I'll try that one

Flip

Flip Report 9 May 2013 19:52

Hi Sylann,

Better to un-mark your post as answered - someone ele may know of other sites, but may not look at your post as you've marked it as answered!

Also, if you post up the details of the person you are looking for someone with a sub to Ancestry/FMP may be able to find the details for you if they have survived.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 9 May 2013 20:02

WW1 British Army service and pension records are only available on Ancestry having all been transferred from the Nat . Archives, and yes as Flip mentioned only about 30% of these records survive

Also Anc. have Medal cards,but these can also be found at the Nat. Archives, but you have to pay to download the record.

If you are looking for someone why not post names etc

George