Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

O'Byrne Family of Dunboyne and Dublin, Ireland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helena

Helena Report 16 May 2013 05:55

I am very interested to find any history on the O'Byrne family whom I believe lived in Dunboyne.
Sean O'Byrne PC Lieutenant "A" Company 4th Batallion, Oglaigh na h-Eireann 1916. Kathleen O'Byrne nee Kain. Giolla Criost O'Broin.
Sean and Giolla's father in 1909 is recorded as James O'Byrne of 9 Dunboyne. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Gee

Gee Report 16 May 2013 06:33

Hi Helena

If you could let us have DOBs and relationships between the family members that will help us.

Also, what do you already know and what is it that you wish find help with?

x

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 16 May 2013 08:21

Helena...Are you looking at A/Co 4th Battalion Dublin Brigade....? If so then I can let you have a photo of the O'Broin Brothers Sean and Paudge...however I am confused with the "Giolla Criost O'Broin" roughly translated is " Servant of Christ O'Broin"... ......You have Sean and "Giolla's" father as James (Dunboyne Co Meath) 1909 ...can you clarify please.

Helena

Helena Report 16 May 2013 09:07

First of all thank you for your interest and offer of help.

James O'Byrne of Dunboyne, Meath Ireland is the father of
Sean O'Byrne birth abt 1890
Giolla Criost O'Brion
other siblings yet to be identified

Sean O'Byrne birth abt 1890 married Kathleen Kain in April 1909 in Dublin
their children: Conal O'Byrne 1914-1941
Nuala O'Byrne 1911-1941

The O'Byrne family switched between using English and Gaelic for both their family and given names. Additionally Sean is recorded in many variants including John, James etc. Sean Rossa and variants of Rossa.

The information about Sean O'Byrne "A Company 4th Batallion" is quoted in an Irish Press Article 6 Jan 1941 which details the death of Lieutenant Conal C O'Byrne 2nd Field Signal Company Portbello Barracks and states "Lieut O'Byrne was son of the late Mr Sean O'Byrne , PC Lieutenant A Company 4th Batallion.

I would like to trace the family in Dunboyne and find the other siblings of Sean and Giolla and would love to have the photo of the O'Brion Brothers. Paudge in English would be? Really I am excited to recieve any information and I hope this all does not sound too confused. Helen

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 May 2013 09:09

1901 and 1911 Irish censuses are free on line

Check them out at................

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 16 May 2013 10:56

Helena ....This looks to be Kathleen 1901....(note she was born in the Co Clare)
They also used the Gaelic....

ents of a house 26.3 in Charlemont Street (Fitzwilliam, Dublin)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Kane Mary 11 Female Daughter R Catholic Dublin City Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
**Kane Kathleen 13 Female Daughter R Catholic Co Clare Scholar Read and write - Not Married - ***
Kane Catherine 40 Female Head of Family R Catholic Dublin City Charwomen Read and write English Widow -
Kane Christopher 9 Male Son R Catholic Dublin City Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Ua Catháin Tomás 14 Male Son R Catholic b. Scotland

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 16 May 2013 11:09

This is their marriage....The transcription is so faded which is why there is a ??? next to Kathleens details .

Name JOHN O'BYRNE KATHLEEN ?
Address 9 HARBOUR PLEASANT 2 CHARLEMONT ST
Occupation N/R N/R
Father JAMES O'BYRNE THOMAS ?
Mother KATHLEEN O'BYRNE KATHERINE ?

Further details in the record
Priest J STAFFORD
Witness 1 GIOLLA CHRISTO O'BYRNE
Witness 2 MARIA O'BYRNE

Laura

Laura Report 26 Mar 2014 12:58

Hi Helena,
I am married to Conall, grandson of Giolla Chriost OBroin so I'm sure we can exchange some very interesting information!
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Laura :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Mar 2014 13:05

Helena didn't acknowledge the info she was given nearly a year ago, so isn't likely to see your post

If you wish to try to contact her, click on her name, and send a message.

TIP:

Always check the dates of the posts when digging up old threads..............

Laura

Laura Report 26 Mar 2014 17:16

Thanks Reggie! Will do!
Laura

Helena

Helena Report 7 Jun 2014 23:37

Thanks Reggie and Erin
My apologies Reggie I thought I had acknowledged your kind help. I have made contact with Laura and there is a family connection which is wonderful .
But as you know the search always continues.
Best wishes and thanks again.