Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

isabella caroline allen nee chapman born 1904.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 2 Jul 2013 00:25

my name is Mike and i am looking for any info and family members of isabella c chapman. she was born in pembrokeshire in 1904, daughter of robert john & sarah jane chapman. i believe she married a man with the surname of allen as she passed away in weymouth, dorset in 1950 aged 46. her father was there and registered her death. my mother is winifred margaret chapman and my grandad who has passed away was robert archibald chapman. my grandad is the younger brother of isabella. my mother is longing to find out anything about the aunt she never knew, she was about 13 when isabella died and was not told anything about her. indeed the first mum knew she had a aunty isabella is when she came home from school and found her dad upset and her mum told her that her dads sister 'bella' had passed away. my mum knows nothing more, anyone with any info please get in touch and i will explain in more detail if required. thank you.. my mum married my dad antony william wright in 1958. thanks again, Mike

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 2 Jul 2013 00:30

Would she have married in Lambeth?

Marriages Dec 1927 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALLEN Charles B Chapman Lambeth 1d 728
Chapman Isabella Allen Lambeth 1d 728

Michael

Michael Report 2 Jul 2013 00:37

hi there.many thanks for your reply. i have done some research and i like you have found that marriage you mention. i am not sure if that is correct but it is the only one for a isabella chapman marrying an allen that i can find so i do thimk it could be the one. any help or advise you can give or if you know of anyone who can help,please do let me know. thanks Mike

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 2 Jul 2013 00:42

Is this her with grandparents in 1911?

1911 Wales Census
about Isabella Chapman Name: Isabella Chapman
Age in 1911: 7
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1904
Relation to Head: Granddaughter
Birth Place: Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Civil Parish: Swansea
County/Island: Glamorgan
Street Address: 1 Villiers Street Hafod Swansea
Marital Status: Single
Registration District: Swansea
Registration District Number: 594
Sub-registration District: Llangafelach
ED, institution, or vessel: 01
Household Schedule Number: 106
Piece: 32738
Household Members: Name Age
William Chapman 56
Isabella Chapman 59
Isabella Chapman 7

Michael

Michael Report 2 Jul 2013 00:59

hi there, yes that is her. as you say she was with her grandparents in swansea in 1911....

patchem

patchem Report 2 Jul 2013 06:51

Are you going to buy the marriage certificate to find out if it is the correct Isabella?

Added:
Have you got her birth certificate? Not showing on free bmd for Isabella Chapman.
Thanks

Added:
OK:
Births Mar 1904
Chapman Isallea Caroline Pembroke 11a 1334

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Jul 2013 08:06

Her death cert will say if she was wife or widow of ,and a husbands name

Name: Isabella C Allen
Birth Date: abt 1904
Date of Registration: Dec 1950
Age at Death: 46
Registration District: Weymouth
Inferred County: Dorset
Volume: 6a
Page: 642

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 2 Jul 2013 08:51

To be certain.........all you need to do is purchase a copy of the Chapman/Allen marriage cert which you can do online here............

www.gro.gov.uk/

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Jul 2013 09:12

Use freebmd to find out whether there may have been any children of the Allen/Chapman marriage, although, as the surnames are common, you may have difficulty in identifying them

Look in 'search all trees' to determine whether anyone else on GR is researching either of them.

You obviously have Isabella's death cert....................what does it say about her husband?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Jul 2013 09:15

Have you put these people in your tree on GR?

That's the best way to try to unearth contacts................

Michael

Michael Report 2 Jul 2013 11:08

hi everyone, many thanks for all your posts. i am also on ancestry.co.uk and the full wright family tree is on there. anyone who wants to look at that please put isabella c chapman in the search engine and my 'wright family tree' will come up.i do have a birth ref; she was born in 1904 as isallea which is the welsh version of isabella, i think she was known as isabella or bella. i will probably get the marriage cert to see if it is the right one and yes i do have the death cert but it gives no husbands name. just says wife of ????? allen no first name given. i do believe there was a falling out between father and daughter as he did not know the husbands name.
again thanks for your replies and any more info on her and/or relations of isabella from anyone please do get in touch,as i am most gratefull for any info received. thanks Mike

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Jul 2013 11:34

Sounds like the marriage cert is your best bet .

As her dad didn't give her hubby's first name then it would seem he didn't know if he was still alive or they separated etc. Or he was just having the last word even on her death cert . sad when families fall out but it happens.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Jul 2013 11:35

It seems odd, to say the least, that the father registered her death.

One must assume that she was not living with her husband when she died...............

To find links on here.............look in 'search all trees'............if you just wait for people to get in touch, it may never happen.

If your tree isn't on here, GR members won't be able to 'find' you

Michael

Michael Report 2 Jul 2013 18:17

hi everyone, have now updated my family tree to include isabella and her brothers and sisters and who they married to. my mum thinks that maybe isabella's dad may have sent her away for some reason and not wanted to be in touch,hense the not knowing of his daughters husband name. maybe isabella and her husband were seperated or divorced and not around at the time of her passing. thanks again for all your replies and if anyone finds or knows anyone who might be related please do get in touch, cheers Mike

Michael

Michael Report 16 Jul 2013 16:39

hi everyone. just an update on 'bella'. the above marriage in Dec 1927 is not the correct one as I now have the certificate to prove this. I understand she had two children, Christine and a son. I can not find any Christine Allen being born so I think she might have been married before, hence the children where born with a different surname. if anyone has any information or can help in any way as to where I go now please let me know. many thanks..Mike

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 16 Jul 2013 19:46

Hello Michael, do we take it that the age and father's name for the Isabella on that 1927 marriage was completely wrong?

Michael

Michael Report 16 Jul 2013 22:54

just to confirm the marriage was completely wrong with the wrong father and age of Isabella. i am now completely stuck so welcome any ideas as to what i could next do. thanks everyone. Mike