Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cherokee/Mexican background in North Carolina

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 7 Jul 2013 23:13

I am stuck for where to start on a Boone relative in around South Toe or Ashville, Yancey County, North Carolina. Please bear with me on the convoluted explanation.

My husband's mother, Elizabeth Ann Lawson, born 1937, was the daughter of James Leland Boone. Elizabeth always said her mother was part Cherokee and part Mexican, and that she died giving birth to Elizabeth. I have James Leland married to Anna Radovic, and living in the house of her family in Pennsylvania, with a 2 year old Elizabeth. Anna (showing Lodovisa on LDS) is of Croatian descent. Elizabeth also referred to James Boone as her adopted father.

I'd like to try to find record of Elizabeth's natural mother, if in fact the family story is correct. I have looked at the Cherokee census for 1937/38 but there are no Boones listed, and I don't know what other name to search on. I think it entirely possible that the Boone family employed workers on the farm (they had an orchard), but they do not show on a census in this way either. Perhaps migrant workers, or from the nearby Cherokee reservation.

The story I've made up in my head is that Elizabeth's real father was Mexican, her mother Cherokee, working as migrant workers from Mexico at apple-picking time in North Carolina. Mother dies in childbirth, father cannot do much with a baby, as a migrant worker, so Boone keeps the child and raises her. This has absolutely no basis in fact, of course.

I'm at a loss how to even start on this. Migrant or seasonal workers would not show on regular census rolls, and even if they did, would change year to year, so I don't think I can use that. Perhaps death certificates for the year of Elizabeth's birth - 1937 - but no idea what name to look for. I cannot find a birth record, or a baptismal record.

Thoughts on how to approach this? Any suggestion gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jul 2013 19:26

Name: J Leland Boone
Event Type: Birth
Event Date: 08 Feb 1906
Event Place: Yancey, North Carolina
Other Event Place: #9 (Unknown)
Race: White
Father's Name: T S Boone
Mother's Name: Belle Hutchins
Page: 29
Source Reference: D3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jul 2013 21:36

you have to pay to see records on this site

Cherokee Indian Reservation, NC, North Carolina records ...
Cherokee Indian Reservation, community records, certificates, birth certificate, death certificate, marriage license.
www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/record-search-?birth.php?locIndex=... - Cached

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jul 2013 21:37

Cherokee County Birth Records - North Carolina Genealogy
5 Cherokee Birth Records sources ... Cherokee Countywide Birth Records 1913-present North Carolina Birth Certificates (order here) Archives
www.northcarolina-genealogy.com/?Cherokee-County-Birth... - Cached

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jul 2013 21:39

Cherokee Native Americans - The USGenWeb Census Project
The applications required each claimant to state full English and Indian names, residence, age, place of birth, ... Band of Cherokee Indians in North Carolina ...
www.us-census.org/native/cherokee - Cached

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jul 2013 21:39

Cherokee Native Americans - The USGenWeb Census Project
The applications required each claimant to state full English and Indian names, residence, age, place of birth, ... Band of Cherokee Indians in North Carolina ...
www.us-census.org/native/cherokee - Cached

Cherokee County, North Carolina Facts, Genealogy, Records & Links
Cherokee County North Carolina family ... Cherokee Nation, an the Indian tribe who still ... download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, ...
www.ncgenealogy101.com/cherokee-county - Cached

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jul 2013 21:43

Cherokee County, North Carolina Birth Records
Home ›› Resources ›› Birth Records ›› North Carolina ›› Cherokee. Find Birth Records by Name ... The birth certificate not only states where and when ...
www.recordsbase.com/.../birth.../north-?carolina/cherokee - Cached

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jul 2013 21:45

Cherokee Genealogy Resources

ANDREWS PUBLIC LIBRARY
871 MAIN STREET
ANDREWS, 28901
p (828) 321-5956

MURPHY PUBLIC LIBRARY
9 BLUMENTHAL STREET
MURPHY, 28906
p (828) 837-2417

NANTAHALA COMMUNITY LIBRARY
128 NANTAHALA SCHOOL ROAD
TOPTON, 28781
p (828) 321-3020

NANTAHALA REGIONAL LIBRARY
11 BLUMENTHAL STREET
MURPHY, 28906
p (828) 837-2025

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jul 2013 21:46

How to Find Out Birth Information on Cherokee Ancestors | eHow
How to Find Out Birth Information on Cherokee ... been members of Cherokee bands in North Carolina ... You're Cherokee Indian. ... all the birth records are ...
www.ehow.com/how_5537257_out-birth-?information-cherokee... - Cached
More results from ehow.com »

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jul 2013 21:47

Cherokee County North Carolina Vital Records.
Marriage, Birth, Death, and Divorce Records in North Carolina ... Cherokee County, North Carolina ... North Carolina Birth Records ...
www.vitalrecordsus.com/north_carolina-?cherokee-county.html - Cached

Cherokee County (North Carolina) Birth Records : Biggest ...
Search Cherokee County Birth Records including Marriage Records, Death Records, ... Cherokee County BIRTH RECORDS (North Carolina) Official USA County Records Provider:
birth.county-records.ws/?NCcherokeecountyBirthRecords.html - Cached

Helen

Helen Report 8 Jul 2013 23:26

Thanks, Ann. Great information. You have the correct James Leland Boone. I have checked every single birth record for North Carolina for the supposed birth date, and death date of the mother, including those within 10 days either side, still to no avail. No Elizabeth born, and nobody died of child-bearing age, in the region I need (Yancey County). I checked Cherokee census and there are no Boones. Without another name, I\m looking for a ghost. There are no marriage records showing Boone marrying anyone, for North Carolina, that I can find. I do understand a lot of NC records are still unindexed.

I will check the links you suggest, but I think that leaves me looking again for a Boone on Cherokee records. It was my understanding that if a native woman married a non-native man, she lost her native rights and (by native rolls, anyway) was no longer counted as native.

I'll have a go and see what I can find. Thank much for your research and the links.

Helen

mgnv

mgnv Report 8 Jul 2013 23:50

South Toe, 25km NW of Marion, might be in Yancey Co, but surely Asheville's in Buncombe Co NC.

Helen

Helen Report 9 Jul 2013 01:01

Thanks, mgnv. I understand the boundaries shifted a bit, but you may be right in any case. I will try also Buncombe County.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Jul 2013 02:43

The 1940 census has Elizabeth born in Pennsylvania:

Name: Elizabeth A Boone
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1940
Event Place: Ward 2, Beaver Falls, Beaver Falls City, Beaver, Pennsylvania, United States
Marital Status: Single
Race (Original): White
Race: White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Granddaughter
Relationship to Head of Household: Granddaughter
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Birth Year (Estimated): 1937
Last Place of Residence:
District: 4-44
Family Number: 327
Sheet Number and Letter: 16A
Line Number: 38
Affiliate Publication Number: T627
Affiliate Film Number: 3426
Digital Folder Number: 005456566
Image Number: 00614
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Ena Lodovisa F 57 Yugoslavia
Son Samuel Lodovisa M 16 Pennsylvania
Son-in-law James L Boone M 34 North Carolina
Daughter Anna M Boone F 25 Pennsylvania
Granddaughter Elizabeth A Boone F 3 Pennsylvania

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Jul 2013 03:38

When did James marry Anna? Could Elizabeth be hers from before the marriage?

There's a marriage for an Alise J Sadgwar to a James L Boone in 1929 in Pennsylvania.

Rose

Helen

Helen Report 9 Jul 2013 04:33

Thanks all for your hard work. This is the problem. Until the census 1940, I had James in North Carolina. There is no record of his marriage to Anna Radovic. The Lodovisa you see in the census 1940 is Radovic - I've had a look at the actual image, and no way it is Lodovisa. It's an indexing error. I have Anna's mother, Eva (not Ena), coming from Croatia on board ship. I have been unable to find record of Elizabeth Ann's birth. We are going by the fact that she told her son that she was of Cherokee/Mexican heritage, and that Boone was her "adopted father". Hence, we think perhaps Anna Radovic was not her mother, since she's Croatian.

Regarding the marriage for Alise J. Sadgwar to Jame Boone, I didn't see that one. I will check that out to see if ages match (hopefully they're there) or at least place of birth.

Thank you for that new piece of info!

Helen