Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John & Jane Edwards England or Australia?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jul 2013 06:56

I have come to a standstill on finding my relatives John & Jane Edwards. The verified information I have is a daughter Elizabeth Isabella Edwards, who got married in Melbourne Australia in 1858 aged 20 (?) born 1838. she gave her Mothers maiden name as Jane Martin. There is a marriage in 1821 at St Mary Le Strand, Westminster, Middlesex of John Edwards & Jane Martin, but not certain if this is them. The other clue is when Elizabeth died in New Zealand her Father was named as John Elliot Edwards, occupation Goldsmith. I feel they may have travelled to Australia in the 1850's ??? Please help

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jul 2013 07:08

Have you tried Family Search to see if there's any marriages for them

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jul 2013 07:33

I have tried Family Search with no luck, the main problem is their names are so common. Thanks

Gee

Gee Report 12 Jul 2013 07:42

A sister?

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906

Name:Charlotte Edwards
Baptism Date:
16 Sep 1832

Father's Name:
John Edwards <<<<<Goldsmith

Mother's Name:
Jane Edwards

Parish or Poor Law Union:
Holborn St Giles in the Fields

Borough:Camden
Register Type:Parish Registers

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jul 2013 08:36

Hmmm. Thats a possibility, does it gives Fathers occupation as Goldsmith?
Thanks

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Jul 2013 08:56

Long Lost Relatives. Australian Town and Country Journal (NSW : 1870 - 1907) Saturday 18 October 1890 p 21 Article

(above Newspaper item, sister Julia looking for her)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

Chris :)

Name: Elizabeth Isabel Edwards
Spouse Name: Henry Mccowen
Marriage Place: Victoria
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Year: 1858
Registration number: 236

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jul 2013 10:13

Thanks!!! Goosebumps, I now have a date that she went to Australia.

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jul 2013 03:57

I have found what I believe to be the shipping record, she must have travelled to Australia with her Uncle? James Edwards & his family on the Priam arriving Melbourne Aug 1852. They give their nationality as English/Welsh, still no luck finding them in census records.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 13 Jul 2013 08:42

Couldn't see a Baptism for her...

Chris :)

Family Notices The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957) Wednesday 14 January 1863 p 4 Family Notices

(above, death of their son, aged 8)

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jul 2013 10:42

Yes thanks thats interesting. I have most of her story from Melbourne going forward, they came to NZ in 1864 & I have good records here (In NZ) I have been looking all day & now think that the Elizabeth Edwards that travelled on the Priam with James & Elizabeth Edwards is actually their daughter, not my Elizabeth so back to shiping lists around 1852. Also going to try & trace via sister Julia back in England. The Baptism for Charlotte (see above) looks good, then there is a record for Julia Sept 14 1837 & Fathers occupation looks like "The workhouse" so they must have fallen on hard times & maybe Elizabeth wasnt baptised.