Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TRACING MY GRANDMOTHERS ADOPTED FAMILY

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 18 Aug 2013 22:34

I have been currently trying to research my grandmothers side of the family both her adopted and birth families. My grandmother was known as Patience Coles born 13/10/1927 and died in jan of 1978 of breast cancer. We think she grow up around dorset or bournmouth area but since we dont have her proper birth certificate we arent 100% sure what area she was from we only have her birth date and year because of her death certificate abd we also have my grandparents marriage cert. Mt grandmother married my grandfather victor david roder in 1945 and they had 3 children one being my father david roder followed by paul roder and a daughter jean roder. she lived in Kent till her death.

Since ordering her death cert i have got her birth date off that and on her marriage cert i have got her adopted fathers name as Cedric coles which i think is her adopted family name. When my aunty jean was alive she told me that my grandmothers birth family name was Summers/sumers not sure how it would be spelt but this family was her blood family and that her father was a doctor but she didnt tell me whether the doctor was cedric coles or from the blood family. My dad also remembers getting large farm sets as a birthday present from her side of the family who lived in the south East of the country but this is all the information anyone really has : (

i know this is a long shot but anyone who may reconise this story or could help us search any records or knows where to look it would be great. I know in 1927 the new adoption legislation came out about having to record all adoptions i still dont know if she was one of these children tho.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Aug 2013 22:41

The father's name on her marriage cert is that of her adoptive father..and his occupation will be recorded

All records relating to her adoption will now be closed.................she would have been the only person who could have gained access to them.

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 18 Aug 2013 22:51

Yes it does give his occupation but i cant really see it the only family with a cedric coles iv come across was from Devon area he must be the right one because i cant seem to find any other.

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 19 Aug 2013 10:19

I think the aim now is to see if any members of the coles family or summers family remember this story or has this been told to any of them. Grandmother must have accessed her birth family info at some point to know her birth family surname.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Aug 2013 10:30

If she grew up in the Dorset area this could be Cedric
1911 England Census about Cedric Coles
Name: Cedric Coles
Age in 1911: 9
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1902
Relation to Head: Son
Birth Place: Whimple, Devon
Civil Parish: Talaton
County/Island: Devon
Street Address: Newtown, Talaton, Ottery St Mary
Registration District: Honiton
Registration District Number: 269
Sub-registration District: Ottery St Mary
ED, institution, or vessel: 15
Household Schedule Number: 86
Piece: 12566
Household Members:
Name Age
Francis Coles 46
Alice Coles 42
Merlyn Coles 11
Barnett Coles 10
Cedric Coles 9
Ivy Coles 6

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Aug 2013 10:32

Maybe not ,that one when went to New Zealand

Name: Mr Cedric Coles
Birth Date: abt 1903
Departure Date: 9 Jun 1922
Port of Departure: Southampton, England
Destination Port: Wellington, New Zealand
Ship Name: Ruapehu
Search Ship Database: Search the 'Ruapehu' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: The New Zealand Shipping Company, Limited
Official Number: 111357
Master: A W McKellar

Travelled with Barnett Coles home address Newton Talaton , near Ottery St Mary occ farming

Intending to stay in New Zealand

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Aug 2013 10:41

Who were the witnesses on her marriage cert Were any of them Coles?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Aug 2013 10:46

If her Christian name didn't alter maybe

Name: Patience Ransley
Mother's Maiden Surname: Emmett
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1927
Registration District: Dover
Inferred County: Kent

Edit nope that one married in 1955

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 19 Aug 2013 16:09

hi there shirely thankyou for having a look i will check her marriage cert again but i think that it was my grandfathers mother alice orpin i cant remember the other one but il double check. I cant seem to find any other cedric coles its very strange.

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 19 Aug 2013 19:08

she did have a brother called Ronald summers!

Mary

Mary Report 19 Aug 2013 19:52

Was he older or younger than Patience??

Maryb

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 19 Aug 2013 22:03

hi there he was her big brother : )

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 20 Aug 2013 09:58

Also my dad remembers recieving large farm sets from his mums said i think this is adopted family tho possibly and someone called aunty Mary.

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 16 Sep 2013 22:10

New information on my grandmothers death cert it states she was fro, Poole, Dorset

patchem

patchem Report 16 Sep 2013 22:58

You can look up births in Poole on free bmd for yourself:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

You have her stated date of birth - so Dec quarter of 1927

patchem

patchem Report 16 Sep 2013 23:04

This is probably the closest Ronald Summers birth to Poole:

Births Sep 1923
Summers Ronald F Brown Wareham 5a 425

Have you any other information about Ronald?

patchem

patchem Report 16 Sep 2013 23:09

?
Cedric Mcdonald Coles
Birth Date: 20 Jul 1909
Date of Registration: Sep 1969
Age at Death: 60
Registration District: Rochford
Inferred County: Essex
Volume: 4a
Page: 1833

Added: