Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Athlea Amy McGarr - New Zealand

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 8 Jan 2014 22:27

I am trying to find out what happened to my "half cousin" mentioned above. Athlea was born in Durban, South Africa, in about 1922, the eldest daughter of my father's half sister, Garnet McGarr ( nee Davies). Athlea married Myrick Niven in the 1940s but then divorced in the early 1950s. I believe she remarried and emigrated to New Zealand in the late 1950s/ early 1960s. I wonder if anyone has any information about her in New Zealand. I believe she passed away about ten to fifteen years ago.

David

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Jan 2014 22:36

Look in 'search all trees' to find whether anyone is researching the name

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 9 Jan 2014 00:28

there is no record of a divorce in South Africa

www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300gi?

select and search

'All Archives Repositories and National Registers of non-public records'

It's hard to tell what this is saying. PRSP = predeceased spouse, but I'm not sure whether it means Joseph died 1961 or Garnet did, and which one's estate this is about. It seems as if it is Garnet's estate, in 1967.

DEPOT NAB
SOURCE MSCE
TYPE LEER
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 3652/1967
PART 1
DESCRIPTION MCGARR, GARNET MARY WILHELMINA. BORN DAVIES. BORN IN JOHANNESBURG.
PRSP MCGARR, JOSEPH UNDERWOOD. DIED 1961. NO TRACE. DECEASED ESTATE.
STARTING 19670000
ENDING 19680000

It could be worth seeing that record to know what it is about, if you don't know.

Figuring out how to do that could take you a year, and it takes me half that long every time I try to do it ...

http://www.national.archives.gov.za/aboutnasa.html

NAB =

Pietermaritzburg Archives Repository
Postal Address: Private Bag X9012, PIETERMARITZBURG 3200
Street address: 231 Pietermaritz Street, PIETERMARITZBURG
Tel: (033) 342 4712. Fax: (033) 394 4353
Email: [email protected]

You might be able to get a copy directly or you might be instructed to hire a researcher to do it; there is a link there for a list.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 9 Jan 2014 00:29

Okay, figuring it out ... this is about Joseph's estate -- S SP = surviving spouse.

DEPOT NAB
SOURCE MSCE
TYPE LEER
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 1417/1961
PART 1
DESCRIPTION MCGARR, JOSEPH UNDERWOOD. BORN IN UITENHAGE, CAPE.
S SP MCGARR, GARNET MARY.
DECEASED ESTATE.
STARTING 19610000
ENDING 19610000

so the previous record has to be about Garnet's death and estate, and it sounds like they were unable to trace family of Garnet when she died.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Feb 2014 15:24

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1337358