Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mrs Tancock, widow, Ynyswen, Treorchy, S Wales

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 17 Jan 2014 15:08

Does anyone have any knowledge of a lady called Mrs Tancock, a widow, who fostered evacuees in WW2 and lived in the Ynyswen area. I have memories of her when staying with her in 1956. She had cared for my mother for 4 years during WW2. She would have been in her 60s in 1956 as best as I can judge (so b c 1880). She probably died in the 1960s as that was when we stopped getting Christmas cards from her. I have no memory/knowledge of her first name or exactly where she lived though can visualise her street and parts of her house. I was 8 at the time. Long shot, I know!!!

Dea

Dea Report 17 Jan 2014 16:55

There are not too many people with that surname in the area so it is worth doing what Reggie has suggested.

Also, Ynyswen is a very small place and it might be worth writing to the post office or the library there to see if anyone has knowledge of this lady.

Or even the church or cemetery where she might have been buried?

I am sure that some of the 'old locals' would know something of her.

Dea x

P.S. I can't pin down the exact registration district that this place would come under - could anyone help with that please?

Dea x

Maddie

Maddie Report 17 Jan 2014 17:04

found these 2 after 1956 but a long shot

Death record transcript
Name: TANCOCK, Alice

Registration district: [?] Neath

County: Glamorganshire

Year of registration: 1963

Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar

Age at death:81

Volume no: 8B

Page no: 558

TANCOCK, Clara J

Registration district: [?] Bridgend

Year of registration: 1962

Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec

Age at death:84

Volume no: 8B

Page no: 83

Neath seems the nearest

Maddie

Astra

Astra Report 17 Jan 2014 17:06

I think it is Pontypridd

Catherine

Catherine Report 17 Jan 2014 17:55

Just to rectify:-
If she was in her 60's in 1956, then she would have been born in the 1890's, not the 1880's.

Susan

Susan Report 17 Jan 2014 17:59

Thanks for all that info. I have already found those two deaths and contacted the local library but not heard from them yet. After years of toying around with this particular search I am now throwing out a very wide net (having now retired have have more time to devote to my FH). I can always arrange to have a holiday in the area if I don't found out what I need from a distance!!!

Cheers everyone.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Jan 2014 21:17

If there is a Post Office or a long- established pub or village shop in that area, you could try phoning them up and asking if they would display a postcard request for information for you.

I did this for a little Welsh village where my grandmother had lived and where her cottage had since been demolished. I hoped for a photograph of the cottage of my childhood holidays and was lucky enough to be put in touch with an elderly local who had the right contacts, so I got my photo.

Gwyn

Susan

Susan Report 18 Jan 2014 08:24

Gwyn - that's a great idea. I will follow that up. As this lady probably died in the 1960s there should still be one or two people who stayed in the village and knew her or knew of her.

My original post that she was in her 60s in 1956 was a typo - it should have read 70s. She seemed like a typical little old lady to me, in a long-ish black dress.

Susan

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jan 2014 11:22

Annie Doris Tancoc
England and Wales, Birth Index, 1837-1920
birth: 1900 Pontypridd, Glamorganshire, Wales

Florence Irene Tancock
birth: 1902 Pontypridd, Glamorganshire, Wales

Millicent Tancock
birth: 1904 Pontypridd, Glamorganshire, Wales

Nancy Tancock
birth: 1915 Pontypridd, Glamorganshire, Wales

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jan 2014 11:23

Name: William John Tancock
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 1908
Event Place: Pontypridd, Glamorganshire, Wales
Page: 861
Volume: 11A
Affiliate Line Number: 108
Registration Quarter: 1
William John Tancock probably married one of the following people
Name: Elizabeth Mary Hogan
Name: Morris Jones
Name: Winefred Pearce

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jan 2014 11:26

Ynyswen is a village in the community of Treorchy, in the county borough of Rhondda Cynon Taf, Wales.

Ynyswen consists mostly of housing. It has an industrial estate which was once the site of Burberry's factory, one shop, and the Forest View Medical Centre.

The area has several chapels and churches as well as Ynyswen Infant school and Ynyswen Welsh School.

Ynyswen infant's school takes children until the age of 7. From then they must go to a different primary school: usually Penyrenglyn Primary School or Treorchy Primary School. Ynyswen Welsh School is a Welsh-speaking primary school that serves the Rhondda Valley. There is no nearby Welsh-speaking comprehensive school and so pupils mostly attend a Welsh school some miles away.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Jan 2014 12:06

Maybe try contacting whichever of these cemeteries you think is most likely:

http://www.rctcbc.gov.uk/en/communityliving/deaths,funeralscremations/cemeteries-generalinformation/cemeteries-generalinformation.aspx

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Jan 2014 12:14

I don't suppose you can remember her address from such long-ago Christmas cards?

Here's another possibly helpful page:
http://www.rctcbc.gov.uk/en/leisurelibrariesculture/localhistoryheritage/familyhistoricalsearches/familyhistoricalsearches.aspx#ContacttheRegisterOfficeon

Susan

Susan Report 18 Jan 2014 13:24

Thank you everyone for the info posted in response to my query. Mrs Tancock was a widow so was not born under that name. I can't remember any addresses on C'mas cards, don't think I ever saw them. I am investigating the existence of electoral rolls in the pre-war and post war years for that area to try and pin her down. I would prefer to have found out her first name(s) before sending off for random death certs and electoral rolls would give either the full name or an initial (or two). I am now in touch with someone "on the ground" in Treorchy, so will see where that goes.

Thanks again: Susan