Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

the douglas family,

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 14 Mar 2014 14:53

I would like to find out where my fathers medals are,as I am the last relation daughter,alive. my father name was Frederick Stanley douglas. born 1900 in Camberwell London.haytors cottage, herne grove. London, his death was November 1973,in Suffolk,haytors cottage is now dunstans grove, we now have a photo of it, he joned the army after the first ww, and came out of the army on the 12/12/1943.on healthgrounds. dad was in the r,a,m,c,he served 24 years, the m,o,d told me he got married in 1924,in co cork, but we went over there for a holiday, and found the records show he seved over there in the irland in the sea,as it was a prison. and he was a mail nurse looking after the prisoner.which goes back in the 18 centry.I would like to find out morehis records, I never saw my father from the age 11. until eighteen months before his death,i hoping the m,o,d. can help.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Mar 2014 15:28

The MOD still hold records for those who served after 1920 You can apply for his army service records It costs £30

use this link which gives info on how to apply including the application forms required

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Roy

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 15 Mar 2014 10:28

What makes you think that he was awarded any medals?

Did he tell you that he had any?

Who did he leave his possessions to?

If there were any medals, the legatee(s) would have had them............

Gee

Gee Report 15 Mar 2014 10:52

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958

Name:Frederick Stanley Douglas

Date of Registration:Jan-Feb-Mar 1924

Registration district:Cork

Volume:5

Page Number:129

FHL Film Number:101575

Records on Page:

Name

Mary Ellen Walsh
Lillian Flavin <<<<<<<<<<
Agnes Foster
Mary Mitchell
Mary Kelleher

The certificate should give you his occupation, address and fathers details. A tree at Ancestry has his spouse as Mary Flavin, looks like that's a mistake?

mgnv

mgnv Report 15 Mar 2014 18:53

One can purchase certs (or cheaper still, the uncertified images of the rego) via:
http://www.groireland.ie/

The Irish 1901/1911 censuses are free at:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 17 Mar 2014 16:55

HI . I don't know what happed ,but I am not going to write that out again, my father married mary flavin, but we found out In the records office over in Ireland, I new mum as Lillian m flavin, and found out I had a aunt and uncle I never new, Yvonne,

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 18 Mar 2014 12:17

I emaid you, but do not know what happened, my father married my mother. Lillian flavin. I found that my mother was mary flavin, from the prist over there. and mum had brothers and sisters, I have a aunt, and uncle, but I believe there were ather children. I have the marrage cert, feb 1924. in the cathal. sorry abt that. the mod sent me a letter to say he married over there. but there no record of him serving over there, we found my dad serving in an irland in the sea, which was a prison. that goes back to 1848.i may not have that right, but I know it goes back to the 18 centry,I read the history while we were over there, dad was looking after the prisners . [spike ireland, I have the photo of it, and his medals was Palestine, defence medal, and long service,and good conduced medal, he had a medal with clasp with a clasp Palestine.dad was appointed l/corpolal, premoted . ,and appointed w/ sergeant and dad had a brown sand belt across his chest, and a what is called those days a fryed egg on his wrist, ,that is a medal on a lether band, which has a lion . and a unicorn on it, I remember that as a child, dad was in the r/a/m/c/, a mal e nurse,a lot of records were used, as they run out of paper. I hope I got that right, and he was called mr, not sir, hoping this will be of interest, yvonne

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 20 Mar 2014 08:48

I find your posts hard to read but reference "fryed egg on his wrist, ,that is a medal on a lether band, which has a lion . and a unicorn"

That is not a medal, Its a badge of Rank, The rank is Warrant Officer Class 1
(Regimental Sergeant Major) and the same as the Royal Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom (HM Government)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Army-GBR-OR-09b.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Army_other_ranks_rank_insignia

which is also indicated with the wearing of a "brown sand belt across his chest" Known as a (sam browne)

Roy

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 14 Jun 2014 21:31

hi going back to the 15/march this year ,I know my father had medal I never saw them, but dad was in the army military serviceof 6391971 sergeant Fredrick Stanley douglas-royal army medical corps, over seas service Jamaica 1919. to 1923, north china 1928 to 1933. Egypt 1936 to 9/1936. there was the defence medal, the war medal 1939-1845, and the general service medal 1936 with clasp Palestine, plus good conduct and long services, and I have a photo of dad wearring a brown sand belt across his chest,and they had to call him mr -, and I would like to find out where my late brother was, I know he was in the army, I am sure he was in the na serves for abt two years, I will always remember that , when the front door bell rung, and I anserdthe it., he never told us he was on the way home,that must have been abt 1942. I not quite sure, thans again ,yvonne

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Oct 2014 15:17

just for info adding link to current thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1345351

(in case anyone here can add anything there)