Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to locate a address

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry

Barry Report 26 Mar 2014 20:08

Hi
just found the will of Charles Haley 1861.In it he leaves some houses at Birk Street near Birkshall, Bradford,sorry no numbers.I am trying to find where this is was hoping some one look this up in the census of 1851,1861 and 1871.
It is possible that they were rented out to family,Hally,Greenhough,Thomson.

I know this a bit of a long shot but u never know.

Hope some one can help.

Thanks for reading this.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 26 Mar 2014 20:28

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/WRY/BradfordStreets1853.html

(not sure if anything above)

Chris :)

jansmith

jansmith Report 26 Mar 2014 20:30

? 1871 from this free to search site http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Piece: RG10/4454 Place: Bradford East -West Riding of Yorkshire Enumeration District: 16
Civil Parish: Bradford Ecclesiastical Parish: Holy Trinity
Folio: 11 Page: 15 Schedule: 95
Address: Birk Street
HALEY Isaac Head M M 42 Labourer Yorkshire - Adwalton
HALEY Elizabeth Wife M F 48 Domestic Wife Yorkshire - Adwalton
HALEY Eliz Dau U F 19 Twister Yorkshire - Adwalton
HALEY Sarah Dau U F 16 Twister Yorkshire - Adwalton
HALEY Isaac Son U M 14 W Spinner Yorkshire - Adwalton
HALEY John Son U M 10 Scholar Yorkshire - Adwalton
HALEY James Son U M 7 Scholar Yorkshire - Adwalton

Barry

Barry Report 26 Mar 2014 21:41

mmm this is his family.Do u know the number?

Barry

Barry Report 26 Mar 2014 22:07

is this place still still there?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 26 Mar 2014 22:16

Barry - have you tried Google maps?

On that 1871 census Isaac Haley and family are at no 53.

Barry

Barry Report 26 Mar 2014 22:20

yes cant find it on modern maps

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 26 Mar 2014 22:27

This 1853 index of streets in Bradford mentions the locations:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/WRY/BradfordStreets1853.html

EDIT: That list infers that it's in the Bowling area.

If you look at Birksland Street and Birkshall Lane on Google Maps that seems to be around the area.

The 1861 census has Birk Street as St Peter's ecclesiastical parish and the sub district was Bradford East End. Some of the streets on the same enumeration list were Collier Street, Cabbage Street (love that one!), Royal Street, St George's Street Mill Street and Cope Street.

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Mar 2014 04:44

One can search on FreeCEN 1871 using just the piece # (4454), the ED (16), and the Schedule #. E.g.,
Schedule: 45 Address: 71 Birksland St
Schedule: 50 Address: 109 Birk Street
Schedule: 135 Address: 18 Birk Street
Schedule: 173 Address: 1 Rifle Court
Schedule: 184 Address: 10 Concordia Street
Schedule: 185 Address: 34 Beck Street
This is considerably quicker (but obviously less thorough) than clicking on Previous/Next h/h when you've got long streets.

One needs some nearby streets when Birk St no longer exists.

Go to http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ and look up Mount Street - pick the BD3 hit.
It takes you to an URL and embedded in the URL are the OS coordinates for the arrow head, viz:
x=417493&y=432764 (more usually written as 417493,432764 )
It took me to zoom level 2, so I zoomed in to zoom level 1

Now go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html and search for these coordinates.
Select the 1893 1:2500 map (1:10560 is too small a scale to be useful).
On this map, I didn't start with the ideal coords - but Birk St is in the SE corner of the map.
It's one block N of Mount St just before Mount St crosses the railroad tracks.

To get the map more centred (so we can use the large scale 1852 1:1056 and the even larger 1891 1:500), we need to centre the map.
To get the E edge near the centre, we need to increase the easting to, say, 417700; and similarly, to get the S edge nearer the centre, we need to decrease the northing by a smidge, say to 432700.
[The OS coords really represent the easting and northing in metres from the zero datum point, situated abt 80km W of Bishop's Rock lighthouse in the Isles of Scilly.]
So repeat (with extra maps) using 417700,432700

Actually, I cheated a bit here from the 1871 census, there's no reason to look up Mount St that I saw.
I did use Birksland St for my initial look up, but it involved a lot more fiddling around, so I used Mount St for the example.
These 2 streets cross just N of the tracks in our map windows.

There's no grid lines on zoom level 1.
Zoom level 2 has grid lines 500m apart, and zoom levels 3 & 4 has them 1 km apart.
Zoom levels 2 & 3 are the same scale, but 2 emphasizes streets, and 3 is more like a regular OS map, emphasizing topography, and as one goes into the countryside, one finds woods, streams, contour lines etc to a much greater extent.
Anyways, onve you know the first 3 digits of each coordinate, you can make a pretty good guess for the 4th digit, using the grid lines, and then usually pad it out with a couple of zeros.
On Streetmap, one can also search for OS coords - just enter 417700,432700 or whatever to check the arrow head's where you want it.