Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

COLEMAN FAMILY FROM GREAT KIMBLE, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Thelma

Thelma Report 1 Jul 2014 10:11

Please can you help me? I am searching for 3 siblings of my grandmother, born LOUISA COLEMAN in 1873 in Great Kimble, Bucks. They are JOHN COLEMAN born 1860 in Great Haseley, Oxfordshire, EMILY COLEMAN born 1865 in Great Kimble and MARY ANN COLEMAN born in 1867 also in Great Kimble. I can find John, Emily and Mary Ann on the 1881 census, Emily and Mary Ann on the 1891 census but after that, I cannot find them. By 1911, one of the three have died. Please can anyone add to the facts I already have. Many thanks in advance, Thelma

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Jul 2014 10:26

There is this death:-

First name(s) EMILY
Last name COLEMAN
Gender Female
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1863
Age 30
Death quarter 1
Death year 1893
District WYCOMBE
County Buckinghamshire
Volume 3A
Page 429

Although the birth year is out a bit that sometimes happens on death certificates as the information is only as accurate as the informant's knowledge.

Kath. x

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Jul 2014 10:30

1881 for our reference. Emily is not with the family, so presume you have found her elsewhere.

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Marsh Road, Great Kimble, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England

Print household transcription Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
John Coleman Head Married Male 44 1837 Agl Labourer Gt Kimble, Buckinghamshire
Emma Coleman Wife Married Female 41 1840 Dress Maker Gt Haisley, Oxfordshire
John Coleman Son Single Male 20 1861 Railway Porter Gt Haisley, Oxfordshire
Mary Ann Coleman Daughter Single Female 13 1868 Just Left School Gt Kimble, Bucks
Louisa Coleman Daughter Single Female 8 1873 Scholar Gt Kimble, Buckinghamshire

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Jul 2014 10:42

Thelma -
You say that by 1911, one of the three has died. I assume that's because you have accounted for the rest?
The image says there were 6 children born, and three still alive.

For our ref:

1911 England Census about Emma Coleman
Name: Emma Coleman
Age in 1911: 72
Estimated birth year: abt 1839
Relation to Head: Wife
Birth Place: Great Harley, Oxon
Civil Parish: Great and Little Kimble
County/Island: Buckinghamshire
Street address: Great Kimble, Tring
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 10
Estimated Marriage Year: 1901
Registration district: Wycombe
Registration District Number: 145
Sub-registration district: Princes Risborough
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Household schedule number: 25
Piece: 7901
Household Members:
Name Age
John Coleman 73
Emma Coleman 72

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Jul 2014 10:43

1911 census shows 6 children born alive, 3 have died, 3 still living after 50 years of marriage (c1860 then) so you have accounted for 2 of the deaths and the third is from the children you name?

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 1 Jul 2014 11:06

have you looked for marriages?

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Jul 2014 11:09

Where have you last found the people you name, are the girls still Coleman or have they married and you have them under a married name?

The names are not uncommon and all have reached marriage age by the time you loose them.

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 1 Jul 2014 11:10

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Smokey Row, Great Kimble and Little Kimble, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
John Coleman Head Married Male 55 1836 Ag Labourer Oxfordshire Image Transcription
Emma Coleman Wife Married Female 52 1839 Dress Maker Oxfordshire Image Transcription

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 1 Jul 2014 11:13

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Kimble Wick, Great Kimble, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England

John Coleman Head - Male 55 1816 - Oxfordshire Image Transcription
Emma Coleman Wife - Female 31 1840 - Oxfordshire Image Transcription
John Coleman Son - Male 11 1860 - Oxfordshire Image Transcription
Emily Coleman Daughter - Female 6 1865 - Oxfordshire Image Transcription
Mary A Coleman Daughter - Female 4 1867 - Oxfordshire

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Jul 2014 11:18

Have sent Thelma a PM asking her to return to her thread

Emily 1881, but not finding her 1891 as Coleman
1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
53, High Street, Hampstead, London, England

Chas B King Head Married Male 44 1837 Builder Northchurch, Hertfordshire
Jane King Wife Married Female 32 1849 - Bishops Auckland, Durham
Jane M King Daughter Single Female 11 1870 Scholar Hampd, Middlesex
Chas B King Son Single Male 8 1873 Scholar Hampd, Middlesex
Thos C King Son Single Male 5 1876 Scholar Hampd, Middlesex
Willm S King Son Single Male 2 1879 - Hampd, Middlesex
George H King Son Single Male 1 1880 - Hampd, Middlesex
Emily Coleman Servant Single Female 15 1866 Nursemaid Gt Kimble, Buckinghamshire<<<<<<
Sarah Ann Price Servant Single Female 19 1862 General Servant Blaine, Monmouthshire

Thelma

Thelma Report 1 Jul 2014 16:06

Many thanks for all your helpful thoughts but I have a lot of the references already....anyway, my senior John Coleman (1837) and his wife, Emma (1840) are traceable all the way through till their deaths at the start of the 20s in Great Kimble. John Coleman (1860) is last spotted in 1881, living with his parents in Kimble along with siblings Mary Ann (1867/8) and Louisa (1873) - my grandmother. In 1881, Emily is in Hampstead as a nursemaid. By 1891, Emily has moved to Acton as a nursemaid and Mary Ann is in Kensington as a housemaid. John seems to be nowhere! I have looked for possible marriages for all of them (of course, John jnr. would not have changed his name) but I cannot find any. I have spent about 2 x 6 hours doing this at the Archives at Kew but got nowhere, following through possible marriages but no follow up on either the 1901 or 1911 census. Nor can I find any appropriate deaths of any of the three. That is interesting about the possible death you have mentioned Kathleen, but really I think this Emily was born too early as every document points to my one being born in 1865. If she is my one, she may have been ill and returned to her home but overall, my one seems to be living in London. I know that 3 children out of 6 have died by 1911 as Louisa didn't die till 1931, Edward (born and died in 1862), Annie (born and died in 1864) so that must mean that either John (1860), Emily (1865) or Mary Ann (1867) must have died but two of them must be alive. I am relatively experienced in cross referencing records and approaching from different ways but this really has me puzzled. Overall, my main reason is to try to find a photo of my Grandmother, Louise (and her husband too) who I have never seen. Thank you all so much so far for all your thoughts :-)

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Jul 2014 08:58

In your experience everyone, do you think people often left their home area (apart to go to a nearby city as in Kimble to London) to go to a completely different area of the country, like for my query, the north west of England, Wales, south west, north east etc? Why I ask this is that I cannot find any possible marriages for John, Emily or Mary Ann with the right dates in the right area as in: Bucks, London, Hertfordshire or nearby. More and more, I am wondering if the comment by Kathleen of Emily's death is right but is it possible her birth year would have been wrong on 3 census ie 1871, 1881 and 1891? :-S

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Jul 2014 11:06

I definitely think that if you can't find someone where you expect to find them you should widen your search area.

My grandfather came from Wiltshire and most of his 11 siblings stayed in the area but he moved north to Co. Durham and married my grandmother. We think he possibly moved with work as he was a footman and later a waiter.

Her birth year on the census could be right but the date of birth on the death record could quite easily be wrong. My maternal grandfather got my grandmothers age wrong on her death certificate - in fact I don't think he ever actually knew her true age. There was 19 years between them but on their marriage certificate he took 3 years off his age and she added 5 years to hers which made the age difference appear to be only 11 years (which might have been more acceptable at the time).

Sometimes if the informant doesn't know the deceased too well they can easily make a mistake about age.

Kath. x

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Jul 2014 12:01

Thanks Kath for those thoughts. Interesting about the 11 year age gap in your family instead of 19!

I might do a day trip, when I can, to Aylesbury to see St. Nicholas church records for funerals for 1893. I have looked through these when I went there earlier this year but wasn't focussing on burials around that time on that occasion