Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Chesterfield, Staffordshire info and records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Monica

Monica Report 27 Dec 2014 22:00

I am searching for any birth or baptism records for my 4 x grt-grandfather George Ross, b 1798. The family lived in Bloxwich and Walsall from the early 1800s.
Based on the 1861 census the family assumption has been that he was from Chesterfield, Derbyshire, and this is a lesson in not making assumptions, the 1841 and 1851 census only say not born in Staffordshire, the 1861 says Chesterfield, Derbyshire, the 1871, Chesterfield, Yorkshire, and 1881 just Chesterfield, no county. There were very few Rosses in Derbyshire at the right time and I hired a researcher in Derbyshire to look for him, or a possible family, no results.
My next idea other places named Chesterfield, there is a Chesterfield in Staffordshire, it is/was a very small place north of Shenstone, south of Lichfield. I can't find any information about the village. Old maps show a workhouse there; does anyone know anything about it, the name? Where to find records of it?
Another question, some time ago I found information about historical changes-1800s- in county borders between Staffordshire and other counties to the east, not sure where I found it, any information out there?
Last question, he got married in Wolverhampton, at St Peter’s Collegiate Church and I always wondered why, the woman he married had family in Walsall, Pelsall, and Shenstone, if he was from Derbyshire, it doesn’t make sense, if he was from the same area she was, it still doesn’t make sense.
Monica
P.S. I have posted about him previously but at that time I was still looking for him in Derbyshire, it makes far more sense for him to have come from Staffordshire

Andrew

Andrew Report 27 Dec 2014 22:23

Chesterfield appears to be on the road between Wall and Shenstone. It never was a parish in its own right, so should come under either of the two villages.

I also have ancestors who married at St Peters Wolverhampton. Some of them lived a good distance away.

ASndy

patchem

patchem Report 27 Dec 2014 22:25

Some information?

http://www.places.staffspasttrack.org.uk/engine/resource/exhibition/standard/default.asp?txtKeywords=&lstContext=&lstResourceType=&lstExhibitionType=3&chkPurchaseVisible=&txtDateFrom=&txtDateTo=&originator=%2Fengine%2Fsearch%2Fdefault_hndlr.asp&page=5&records=64&direction=1&pointer=18444&text=1&resource=24624

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Dec 2014 22:36

The previous thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1314110

Monica

Monica Report 28 Dec 2014 14:16

Thanks, yes the thread Jacqueline posted a link to is my previous thread when I was still looking for him in Derbyshire.