Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Look up request

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Winterose

Winterose Report 9 Jan 2015 12:07

Hello all,

Can somebody help find my impossible to find ancestor please, she was born Jean/Jane Easton Swanson born 1838 mid calder mid lothian Scotland, she marries William Rodger 1864 Edinburgh Parish. The last trace i have of this family is the 1901 Census for Scotland wher she is aged 57 residing at 20 West Graham St, Lanark with her family, minus her husband (i presume he passed away).

I've tried the 1911 Scots census ; nothing, nor can i find any death records in Scotland - infact the entire family have vanished . Can anyone plze help find Jane/Jean E Rodger.

Many thanx Winterose

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Jan 2015 12:21

Have,you looked to see if she emigrated. Did they have children that can be traced forward

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 9 Jan 2015 12:29

If she was born in 1838, she'd be older than 57 in 1901

Please post the census for our info

Winterose

Winterose Report 9 Jan 2015 12:30

i looked but nothing jumped out at me -you know how we know when we have found the record we're looking for.

safc

safc Report 9 Jan 2015 12:32

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
20, West Graham Street, Glasgow, Blythswood, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Learn more
Print transcription
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Jane Rodger Head Married Female 59 1842 - Midlothian, Scotland
Transcription
Christina Rodger Daughter Single Female 37 1864 Dressmakers Machinist Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
Transcription
Thomas Rodger Son Single Male 35 1866 Tailor Roxburghshire, Scotland
Transcription
- Adair Daughter Widow Female 26 1875 Dressmakers Machinist Airdrie, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Transcription
Annie Rodger Daughter Single Female 23 1878 Tailoress Airdrie, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Transcription
John Rodger Son Single Male 21 1880 Joiner Airdrie, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Transcription
Thomas Rodger Grandson - Male 3 1898 - Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 9 Jan 2015 12:35

Thanks safc

So...................'married'..... and aged 59

Why did you think her husband was deceased?

When was he born?

Winterose

Winterose Report 9 Jan 2015 12:40

as she Jane is HEAD on the 1901 Census , it seems to make sense

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 9 Jan 2015 12:42

For info...........

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
4, Elgin Street South, South Leith, St Andrew, Midlothian, Scotland

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
William B Rodger Head Married Male 28 1843 Rope Spinner Railway Engine Driver Leven, Fife, Scotland Transcription
Jane E Rodger Wife Married Female 30 1841 - Midlothian, Scotland Transcription
Christina Rodger Daughter - Female 6 1865 Scholar South Leith, Midlothian, Scotland Transcription
Thomas Rodger Son - Male 4 1867 - Newtown, Roxburghshire, Scotland Transcription
William Rodger Son - Male 3 1868 - Newtown, Roxburghshire, Scotland Transcription
Isabella Rodger Daughter - Female 1 1870 - Newtown, Roxburghshire, Scotland

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 9 Jan 2015 12:42

She says she is MARRIED

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 9 Jan 2015 12:44

Living apart in 1891

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Seafield Cottage East End, Markinch, Fife, Scotland

David B Rodger Head Married Male 37 1854 Dairy Man Fife, Scotland Transcription
Margt Rodger Wife Married Female 35 1856 - Fife, Scotland Transcription
James Rodger Son - Male 5 1886 Scholar Fife, Scotland Transcription
Ann Rodger Daughter - Female 3 1888 - Fife, Scotland Transcription
Isabella Rodger Daughter - Female 1 1890 - Fife, Scotland Transcription
William B Rodger Brother Married Male 48 1843 Railway Engine Driver Fife, Scotland Transcription
Robert Butters Boarder Unmarried Male 59 1832 No Profession Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland Transcription
John Rofs Boarder Unmarried Male 38 1853 No Profession Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland Transcription
Thomas Burnett Boarder Unmarried Male 52 1839 No Profession Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland Transcription
Robert Moffatt Boarder Unmarried Male 38 1853 No Profession Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland

Astra

Astra Report 9 Jan 2015 12:44

She is alone in 1891 too but listed as Engine Driver's wife.

Winterose

Winterose Report 9 Jan 2015 12:47

She married William Rodger 1864 Edinburgh Parish - he is absent on the 1901 & she is then HEAD

greyghost

greyghost Report 9 Jan 2015 13:28

By manipulating the Scotlands People site which costs nothing, there would appear to be a William B Rodger died 1895 b 1842. Further manipulation would give you County and then District within that county.

EDIT - Glasgow City shows as County/City so - then just for the district which I'll leave to you

Buy Scotland's People credits - 30 for £7, but if you have seen the 1911 census you may well have access already. 1 credit would confirm the above info and for 5 more you could look at the certificate and download.

Winterose

Winterose Report 10 Jan 2015 06:09

Hello again

Thank you all for posting my family of interest from 1841-1901. My query however related to the 1901 for which i provided details to save time & avoid confusion. I am a frequent user of Scotlandspeople database but tend to be strategic about this as its foreign exch for me & when i make errors it piles up!
This was my rational for not asking anybody to find William Rodger & hence my interest in Jane/Jean Rodger & the listed family on the 1901 census who are a "NO Show" on the 1911 census.
And as my skill-set only extends to what i've already uncovered, i've posted this query for help, can anyone find Jean /Jane Roger and/or the family posted only on the 1901 census pleze.

Many thanx, for your very kind efforts Winterose .

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Jan 2015 06:45

Jacqueline ...............

I fail to see why you found it necessary ton interrogate Winterose as to why she thought William was dead by 1901 because Jane/Jean described herself as married!

I've found that many women, and some men, describe themselves as married on a census when the spouse is in fact dead!

Of course, the reverse is also true ................... a number describe themselves as widow (or even single) when the spouse is very much alive!

I think it is all done to make life difficult for us, their descendents.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Jan 2015 09:12

If you are not finding any of the family in 1911, perhaps the surname has been mistranscribed.

You could try looking for Jane on the valuation rolls. Although the index was free to search last weekend, you now need to use credits.