Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage licence - but which church?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marian

Marian Report 22 Apr 2015 20:57

Hello, I have a marriage bond/allegation/licence for Christopher Spence(r) to Elizabeth Biers (Byers) dated 27 January 1768. The location says Mr CS of Mr Ralph Robson's farmhouse, Darlington. On family search they were married 29 January 1768 as Spencer and Byers. A daughter Elizabeth was baptised 13.11.1767 at Haughton le Skerne (nr Darlington) residence Barmpton. I cannot find which church they were married at, any suggestions please?
My next problem is the marriage of Elizabeth Spencer to Benjamin Race at Bishopton 20.12.1770. Witnesses Nicholas Byers and William Byers (her brothers). I believe this to be the same Elizabeth as above as all three lived at Barmpton. However, I cannot find a burial for Christopher. I have tried Durham records online, family search. As an aside, one of Elizabeth and Benjamin's children was baptised John Byers Race. Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

malyon

malyon Report 22 Apr 2015 21:21

Christopher Spence
England and Wales, Death Registration Index 1837-2007
Name: Christopher Spence
Event Type: Death
Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration Year: 1838
Registration District: Darlington
County: Durham
Event Place: Darlington, Durham, England
Volume: 24

Marian

Marian Report 22 Apr 2015 21:27

Hello Yvonne, if Christopher above is the right one, it throws my marriage of Elizabeth and Benjamin all to pot. Thank you for taking a look.

malyon

malyon Report 22 Apr 2015 21:53

hi
have you any idea when christopher was born it might have been around 1740-1750
so that death i found might not be him

Marian

Marian Report 22 Apr 2015 22:00

Hello Yvonne, on the bond it says 26 years and upwards. If Elizabeth went on to have a second marriage it would mean Christopher died within two years of getting married.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 22 Apr 2015 22:11

Name: Christopher Spence
Marriage Date: 29 Jan 1768
Marriage Place: Darlington, Durham, England
Spouse: Elizabeth Byers
FHL Film Number: 1894622
Reference ID: p144

That film number seems to be for Church of England. Parish Church of Bishop Wearmouth (Durhamshire)

but it says Darlington, so I don't understand it

see the bottom of this page

http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Source:Bishop-Wearmouth,_Durham,_England._Parish_Registers,_1567-1901

malyon

malyon Report 22 Apr 2015 22:14

this looks like elizabeth born to christopher and elizabeth different spelling you have her born 1767

Christopher Spansor
mentioned in the record of Eliz Spansor
Name: Christopher Spansor
Daughter: Eliz Spansor
Other information in the record of Eliz Spansor
from England Births and Christenings
Name: Eliz Spansor
Christening Date: 13 Nov 1768
Christening Place: HAUGHTON LE SKERNE,DURHAM,ENGLAND
Father's Name: Christopher Spansor

Marian

Marian Report 22 Apr 2015 22:25

Yes, I mean 1768. On Durham records online it says Spansor but in brackets its has Spencer. On the original which I got off bishop transcripts it says Barmpton which is about half a mile from Haughton. Thank you Linda. I googled Ralph Robson (to try and find the farm house) and there are quite a few all in the district of Darlington.

malyon

malyon Report 22 Apr 2015 22:32

only death i can find

Christopher Spencer
England Deaths and Burials
Name: Christopher Spencer
Burial Date: 22 May 1769
Burial Place: Goodshaw, Lancashire, England
Father's Name: John Spencer
Mother's Name: Elizabeth

Marian

Marian Report 22 Apr 2015 22:35

I have to close now, thank you both. I will have to try and investigate further.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 22 Apr 2015 22:49

The joiner marriage index has one result for a byers spence marriage in 1768 in Darlington, but you have to pay to see the results

http://joinermarriageindex.co.uk/

I used to teach with him, but I don't get freebies :-(

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 23 Apr 2015 08:29

Baptism
County Durham
Place Haughton-le-Skerne
Church St Andrew
RegisterNumber
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 13 Nov 1768
Forename Eliz
Sex F
FatherForename Christopher
FatherSurname SPANSOR

(above, from below link)

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

Baptisms Darlington 1768 Elizabeth Spansor [Spencer/Sponson] Barmpton Moor

Marriage Bonds Durham Diocese 1768 Christopher Spence (Birth Year) abt 1742 Ralph Robsons Farm House, Darlington

(from Durham Records Online)

Marian

Marian Report 23 Apr 2015 12:39

Hello everyone, I think the Joiner marriage index will probably be the marriage bond or I would buy it. The main church in Darlington is St Cuthberts but the Bishops Transcripts only seem to be baptisms and burials with marriages much later. Best wishes.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 23 Apr 2015 17:32

For the LDS film number 1894622 the Family Search catalogue gives four results

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&query=%2Bfilm_number%3A1894622

So probably St. Cuthbert's Church, Darlington unless you think one of others is more likely.

Chris

Marian

Marian Report 23 Apr 2015 18:45

Hello Chris, I think St Cuthberts is the most likely. I will have to wait until holiday time when I will be able to visit Durham Record Office.
Best wishes.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 23 Apr 2015 19:27

Darlington, St Cuthbert: "The parish register dates from 1590." [From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]
The Parish Registers for the period 1590-1981 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Da.SC).

The Marriages (1560-1837) are included in the Joiner Marriage Index