Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fishing Fleet

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 11 Sep 2015 18:00

does anyone know anything about the above it was a scheme to take women out to India to look for husbands my husband'a great aunt went out and married in India in 1926 but I cannot find anything relating to the fishing fleet

Thank you

Linda

Gee

Gee Report 11 Sep 2015 18:07

There is lots if you Google

http://www.historytoday.com/blog/2013/01/fishing-fleet-husband-hunting-raj

malyon

malyon Report 11 Sep 2015 18:09

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/historybookreviews/9467036/The-Fishing-Fleet-by-Anne-de-Courcy-review.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_fleet

Linda

Linda Report 11 Sep 2015 18:17

thanks I just wondered if there was a shipping list for the fishing fleet my Husbands
great aunt did marry out there and then eventually went on to South Africa

Gee

Gee Report 11 Sep 2015 18:24

If you post the Great Aunt's name/age etc we could check

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 11 Sep 2015 20:03

My great-grandmother went out to India to work and find a husband (with success) but I have never been able to find her on a shipping list either outwards or returning.

The Fishing Fleet was a popular term for the practice, not an official title for an official scheme.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Sep 2015 22:37

I doubt the "fishing fleet" was an organised scheme like the girls and women sent to Canada by the French in the 17th century, or the girls sent to Australia by Britain in the 18th and 19th centuries.

I think it was more of a colloquial term, partly derogatory, given to the ships that took out large numbers of young women.

you really should look at that link that Gins posted .......... and maybe even buy or borrow the book

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 13 Sep 2015 02:14

you learn something new every day!

just a few minutes after reading this, I was looking at a help board I use for my work ... and someone from China had a question about a passage in a book talking about a young woman whose mother took her to India with her trousseau ... he wasn't understanding why her brain would be less of a handicap for finding a husband there than at home

so I was able to tell him all about the Fishing Fleet ! :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Sep 2015 04:25

:-D :-D

Linda

Linda Report 13 Sep 2015 15:41

thanks everyone

her name was Irma Trense born 1904 in Liverpool she married a Douglas McDonald

Gee

Gee Report 13 Sep 2015 17:15

Just adding for full details of the names

Name:Irma Evelyn Trense

Marital Status:Single

Birth Date:1903

Marriage Date:12 Oct 1926

Marriage Place:Chindwara, Bengal, India

Father: Charles Trense

Spouse:Douglas Stuart Macdonald

FHL Film Number:527588

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 13 Sep 2015 17:28

I think her registered birth name was maybe Jones

Births Sep 1903
Jones Irma Evelyn T (Trense?) Liverpool 8b 78

possibly her father was Trense.

edit, yes, the parents were partners for a long time before marrying

Marriages Sep 1919
Jones Hilda M Trense Toxteth P. 8b 456
Trense Charles W H Trense Toxteth P. 8b 456
Trense Charles W H Jones Toxteth P. 8b 456
Trense Hilda M Trense Toxteth P. 8b 456

comment for Charles at freebmd: 'Spouse's surname shown as Trense or Jones'

family in 1911

Charles W H Trense 55
Hilda M Trense 35
Hilda W G Trense 14
Charles W H Trense 12
Edith B Trense 11
Max V Trense 9
Irma E Trense 7
Hugo F Trense 5
Ina F Trense 4
Hilda S D Jones 12

I can't see her travelling as either Jones or Trense

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Sep 2015 19:44

Looks like she'd been home for a visit:

Name: Irma Evelyn Mccdonald
Birth Date: abt 1903
Departure Date: 2 Dec 1946
Port of Departure: Southampton, England
Destination Port: Bombay, India
Ship Name: Stirling Castle
Shipping line: P & O Union Castle Mail S S Co Ltd
Official Number: 164570
Master: W D Roach

She's travelling with who appears to be her 19 year old daughter (won't name just in case still alive).

They'd been staying at 40 Oxford Road, Birkdale.

EDIT: There's an incoming passenger list in August 1945.

Irma, Douglas and daughter had also been to England in 1934, the address in the UK they were headed at that time was 148d Princes Road, Liverpool.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 13 Sep 2015 20:18

but how the devil did she get there MarieCeleste? :-)

given Beverley's similar situation one has to wonder!

Linda

Linda Report 14 Sep 2015 16:59

thanks to everyone who replied As far as I can find out yes the older children seemed to be given the surname Jones at birth as on Charles Naturalisation record he says married no children this was 1903. I think he was already married when he met Hilda I can find a marriage around 1880 to a Hanna McDonald (widow) will have to find out happened to her

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Sep 2015 17:05

look for a death for a Hanna Trense just before he and Hilda Jones married

Max

Max Report 12 Apr 2018 17:04

If the lady called Linda would like to get in touch with me, I can give her more information about the family.

Her husband's great-aunt who married in India was my aunt Irma and my father's sister. Her husband's grandmother was almost certainly my aunt Ena Trense.

Happy to explain further if she wishes. Actually, I have been thinking for some time that the different branches of the family still around should perhaps get in touch.

All the best,

Max

greyghost

greyghost Report 12 Apr 2018 21:33

Welcome to the boards Max. Linda posted a while ago now and is probably not looking for replies any longer.

You could try to cotact her by clicking on her name (in green) and send her a Personal message. If she still has the same email address that she registered with GR they can notify her there is a message in the system for her. So first he has to be able to receive the message and then in a position to reply. Best of luck.