Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please with possible name change !!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanna

Joanna Report 8 Mar 2016 18:05

I have come to a dead end in my reasearch & would love to find out about this for my Dad who is unwell.
My Dads Dad is John Henry Tennant, Siblings Lily, Albert Edward, sarah, may, eileen, samuel.

John Henrys Dad was Samuel Tennant - however we have now hit a dead end !

We have Samuels marriage cert to sophia fox with his father listed as William Tennant.

Family stories say that Samuel was born a Bullock but changed his name to Tennant - I can see a marrage between a Lily Bullock & a William Tennant (Lily is also Samuels oldest daughters name) & the marriage would of been when Samuel was about 9-10 years old.

How can I find anything out ! Im really stuck !

Joanna

Joanna Report 8 Mar 2016 18:08

Should of stated Samuels age was 20 when he married sofia in 1905 & 'Father' William was deceased.

The 1911 cencus has Samuels birth place as Brierley hill, Staffordshire but cant find a samuel bullock or Tennant born there in that time frame !

I have been looking for about 10y but now my Dad is unwell I would love to solve this mistery for him !

Andrew

Andrew Report 8 Mar 2016 18:21

1911 for ref

Name:Samuel Tennant
Age in 1911:25
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1886
Relation to Head:Head
Birth Place:Brierley Hill, Staffordshire, England
Civil Parish:Ilkeston
Search Photos:
Search for 'Ilkeston' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
County/Island:Nottinghamshire
Street address:30 Westwick St Ilkeston
Marital Status:Married
Registration districtBasford
Registration District Number:429
Sub-registration district:Ilkeston
ED, institution, or vessel:27
Piece:20418
Household Members:
Name

Samuel Tennant 25
Sophia Tennant 25
Lily Tennant 5
Samuel Tennant 4
Sarah Tennant 2

Andy

Mike *

Mike * Report 8 Mar 2016 18:36

This would cover Brierley Hill....

Births Jun 1885
Bullock Samuel - Wolverhampton 6b 608

malyon

malyon Report 8 Mar 2016 18:49

could this be samuel in 1891 census

Name Samuel Tennant
Event Type Census
Event Date 1891
County Worcestershire
Parish Kingswinford
Ecclesiastical Parish BROCKMOOR
Registration District Stourbridge
Residence Note Sun Street
Gender Male
Age 6
Marital Status Single
Relationship to Head of Household Nephew
Birth Year (Estimated) 1885
Birthplace Staffordshire, England
Page Number 16
Registration Number RG12
Piece/Folio 2308/ 25

Samuel Tennant Head M 59 Staffordshire, England
Sarah Tennant Wife F 56 Staffordshire, England
James Tennant Son M 19 Staffordshire, England
Matilda Tennant Daughter F 14 Staffordshire, England
Joseph Tennant Son M 11 Staffordshire, England
Samuel Tennant Nephew M 6 Staffordshire, England

Mike *

Mike * Report 8 Mar 2016 18:57

Possible marriage for aunt and uncle

Marriages Dec 1855

?.....Bullas Sarah - Stourbridge 6c 283
TENNANT Samuel - Stourbridge 6c 283

Andrew

Andrew Report 8 Mar 2016 19:03

Baptism??

Name:Samuel Bullus
Baptism Date:31 Dec 1884
Baptism Place:Holy Trinity, Kingswinford, Stafford, England
Father: William Bullus
Mother: Elizabeth
FHL Film Number:1470764
Reference ID:item 3 p 24

Andy

Mary

Mary Report 8 Mar 2016 19:18

1901 he is Samuel Bullus 16 grandson to Samuel and Sarah Tennant and their children Matilda and Joseph.

Did and Sarah Bullus who married 1855 have William Bullus Jan 1854 Stourbridge V6c P222.He is down as William Tennant 1854 on census returns
That would explain the name change.

21/9/1884 William Bullas age 29 married Elizabeth Herbert a widow,his dad was given as Samuel Tenant Bullas.

Maryb

malyon

malyon Report 8 Mar 2016 19:33

only marriage i can see for william and lily samuel would have been about 10yrs old

Marriages Dec 1896 (>99%)
Tennant William Theedy Kensington 1a 278

Joanna

Joanna Report 8 Mar 2016 20:50

Thankyou for all the replys !

Someone else who is working on the same tree has him as Samuel Bullas - Parents William Bullas & Elizabeth (unknown)

All very confusing lol.

So it looks like sarah bullus had William out of wedlock then married Samuel ?
So William changed his Name to Tennant when his Mum married his (possible)Dad ?

Why then would Williams Dad have his name as Samuel Tennant Bullas ?

Thankyou so much for your help x

Joanna

Joanna Report 8 Mar 2016 20:54

& is he a nephew or grandson to sarah & Samuel !!!

Mary

Mary Report 9 Mar 2016 09:06

I think it is just a mistake with Samuel Tennant Bullas,they got it the wrong way round.

It seems the most likely explanation is that Sarah had William Bullas/Bullus 1854 he married widow Elizabeth Herbert Sept 1884 and they had Samuel 1884.

I haven't found anything on William and Elizabeth after the birth of Samuel 1884.

Maryb.

Joanna

Joanna Report 9 Mar 2016 21:46

I am thinking maybe something happened to Samuel Bullus parents & he moved in with his grandparents who were called Tennant - hence the name change.

On Samuels marrage cert he is down as Samuel Tennant & quotes his father as William Tennant - this is what has confused me !!!

Why would he of said his father was Tennant when it was Bullus - his Father was deceased at the time of the marrage (Samuel was 20)

Thankyou all so much for your help - will start sending for more certificates to hopefully prove this !

My Dad is over the moon about this as its been something he has wanted to find out for ever ! X

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Mar 2016 22:45

We can't know what happened all that time ago, but we can suggest possible theories.

My theories are as below

First, we don't know how long Samuel had been living with the Tennant's in 1891, just that he was there at that one moment in time. He could have arrived the day before or 6 years before.

1. Assumption ............ he had lived with them from soon after birth, he had become known as the Tennant nephew, and assumed that his surname was Tennant. His parents either died, emigrated, or dumped the child on his aunt and uncle.

Assume aunt was sister of his father William.

2. Assumption ............. he has used the surname Tennant for so long that he continues to use it when he married, BUT he has been told that his father's name was William.

3. Assumption ............... we cannot know why he is described as nephew in 1891 and grandchild in 1901 because we do not know WHO gave the information to the Enumerator. It could have been either of the adult Tennants OR it could have been a neighbour. After all the Tennants were old.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 10 Mar 2016 10:37

Could this be his mother's death. Most of my paternal family are from the Kingswinford area and at times it's been difficult to find BMDs until I got into the routine of searching Dudley as well as Stourbridge. Kingswinford is an area of Dudley roughly equidistance between the centre of Dudley and Stourbridge.

Name: Elizabeth Bullas
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855
Registration Year: 1882
Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at Death: 27
Registration district: Dudley
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Staffordshire
Volume: 6c
Page: 26

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 10 Mar 2016 10:40

http://www.westmidlandsbmd.org.uk/index.php

(probably variants of surname on above, using Soundex)

Chris :)