Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canadian Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

cookie18

cookie18 Report 29 Mar 2017 15:50

I have a Annie Thompson nee Gibson who married Ernest Holt 1947 Manchester
i believe they emigrated to Canada 1951

Annie had a son Charles Graham Thompson b1942
from her previous husband and another child (boy) with Ernest

I have no idea where in Canada they went
Hoping somebody can help find any info on them

thanks

sue

malyon

malyon Report 29 Mar 2017 17:09

I was looking for a family that went to Canada in 1950's but could not find any records some one living in Canada said its hard to get records

cookie18

cookie18 Report 29 Mar 2017 17:15

Hi Malyon

I wonder why its so hard to find records
did you have any luck at all

malyon

malyon Report 29 Mar 2017 17:28

no luck I even asked a newspaper on face book got no reply

malyon

malyon Report 29 Mar 2017 17:38

found this death it could be ernest

Ernest Holt
Find A Grave Index
Name
Ernest Holt
Event Type
Burial
Event Date
Event Place
Montreal, Montreal Region, Quebec, Canada
Photograph Included
N
Death Date
01 Feb 1973
Affiliate Record Identifier
Cemetery
Mount Royal Cemetery

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 29 Mar 2017 17:46

You haven't given Birth years for Ernest and Annie (might help with Outgoing Passenger Lists)...

Chris :)

Passenger Lists Leaving UK 1890-1960 (Find My Past)

UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960 (Ancestry)

malyon

malyon Report 29 Mar 2017 17:47

could be annie same place as ernest

Annie Holt
Find A Grave Index
Name
Annie Holt
Event Type
Burial
Event Date
Event Place
Montreal, Montreal Region, Quebec, Canada
Photograph Included
N
Death Date
17 Aug 1991
Affiliate Record Identifier
Cemetery
Mount Royal Cemetery

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Mar 2017 23:19

I couldn't find the family on any immigration records.

Personally I immigrated to Canada with my family in 1952. I am listed on the UK Outward Passenger list but not on incoming lists to Canada

If those are the right Ernest & Annie found by malyon in Mount Royal Cemetery they're in good company. Many famous people are buried there. My favourite is Anna Leonowens of "King and I" fame.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 30 Mar 2017 04:43

These are the links to the pages at findagrave, which I would think are likely to be your people as found by malyon

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=108169767

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=108169754

the numbers are close together - numbered as the person who indexed them uploaded them to the findagrave site (other people would be uploading in between) - so it would be reasonable to assume that the graves are together

The person who has entered graves in that cemetery at findagrave will transfer them to any family member, so if it turns out they are your people, you could request that if you want to join the site, and add more info to their pages (and link their pages up).

I have a relation, not a direct ancestor, buried in Mount Royal Cemetery and headstone genealogist transferred the page to me.

The cemetery is very helpful about identifying where the grave is located.

I'm not sure which one of these email addresses worked ... if neither one does I have the personal email of the person who sent me the info

[email protected],
[email protected]

Someone should be going to the cemetery for me this summer to photograph the grave of my family member (buried in the 1800s). If you can find the location of those graves - the cemetery will send you a map showing the spot - and hopefully if it isn't a mile away - I could ask them to photograph yours for you too.

This doesn't help find Annie's son ... too common a name unfortunately ... but it could be of interest. And putting info on the page at findagrave might someday lead to a connection if a famly member were to see it.

I did check Canadian voters' lists at Ancestry but can't see any Ernest Holt in the province of Quebec. There is an Annie Holt in Montreal in 1965 and 1972 but there is no Ernest with her in 1965. I would suspect they did not take citizenship before Ernest's death.

There would be no harm in trying the one person with the same full name listed in the telephone directory

http://www.canada411.ca/res/9057653182/Charles+G-Thompson/251265768.html

... but given the number of Charles Thompsons, that is an extremely long shot ...

cookie18

cookie18 Report 30 Mar 2017 14:36

Maylon thanks for your info will follow it up

Chris Ho
Only dob i have for both is btw 1913-1915 Manchester

MargaretM
Like your thinking

JoonieCloonie
Thanks for those links i have now requested to find grave location
Maybe i'll have to write to above person as i live in the UK