Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Isaac Burgess & Hannah Lake - missing child

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TabithaQueensland

TabithaQueensland Report 19 Sep 2017 11:54

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I can find a missing child of this couple - Isaac Hudson Burgess & Hannah Lake (married 1858 Prestbury, Cheshire, England).

The children I know about are:
Samuel John Burgess (b 8/7/61 in Cheshire, England)
Elizabeth Burgess (b 2/4/66 in Laidley Creek, Qld, Australia). On Elizabeth's birth certificate is says her parents have 1 son living (presumably Samuel) and 1 son dead.
Isaac Burgess (b 14/1/68 in Gympie Creek, Qld, Australia). On Isaac's birth certificate it says his parents have 1 son living (presumably Samuel), 1 son dead, 1 daughter dead (presumably Elizabeth)
Annie Burgess (b 12/3/1870 Gympie Rd, Queensland, Australia). On Annie's birth certificate it reads 1 son living (Samuel) 2 sons dead (Isaac + unknown) 1 daughter dead (presumed Elizabeth)

Therefore, if I am interpreting the certificates correctly there is a son who was born and died between 1861 and 1866 in either England or Australia (or at sea), but I cannot find any record at all. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or can find him.

Many thanks for your help. Tania

Andrew

Andrew Report 19 Sep 2017 11:59

Looks like John Thomas

Results:
Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
BURGESS, JOHN THOMAS LAKE Order
GRO Reference: 1858 D Quarter in MACCLESFIELD Volume 08A Page 111

Possibly his death

BURGESS, JOHN THOMAS 2 Order
GRO Reference: 1860 D Quarter in MACCLESFIELD Volume 08A Page 86

Samuel birth for ref

BURGESS, SAMUEL JOHN LAKE Order
GRO Reference: 1861 S Quarter in MACCLESFIELD Volume 08A Page 126

Andy

TabithaQueensland

TabithaQueensland Report 19 Sep 2017 12:36

That certainly looks like a possibility for sure. The couple married on 25 January 1858 in the Parish of Prestbury, and they were living in Macclesfield, so that would fit (many babies were born before couple's married I'm sure) Samuel John's birth record does not record another older brother, but I cannot see a spot for that on the certificate so maybe previous issue wasn't recorded.
Thanks, I'll look into that one.

TabithaQueensland

TabithaQueensland Report 19 Sep 2017 13:04

Hi Andrew,
I was wondering if you could tell me how you search the GRO and include the mother's maiden name? I can't find the birth record with 'lake' in it.

I'm not sure that it is him. The Diocese of Chester parish registers of Baptisms c1538-1910 has John Thomas Burgess baptised 2 January 1859 in Macclesfield, but his parents are listed as Francis and Hannah Burgess. I can't rule it out entirely though. The occupation of the father as "green-grocer" would fit with Isaac Hudson, as Samuel John's birth certificate says "fruiterer".

Interested in anyone's thoughts, could Isaac be mistaken for Francis? Seems like 2 very different pronounciations.

Many thanks.

Andrew

Andrew Report 19 Sep 2017 13:19

You can search the GRO index here

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

You have to sign up but thats free. The search facility is a bit restrictive in that you can only search for a year +/- 2 and have to choose gender. Like most transcriptions it isn't perfect, but its very useful.

I see that Hannah is recorded as Anna in 1861 census, so names did vary.

Andy

TabithaQueensland

TabithaQueensland Report 19 Sep 2017 13:21

Not to worry, thanks, I found it in the GRO online index. I haven't used that before, I can see the mother's maiden name as Lake.

TabithaQueensland

TabithaQueensland Report 19 Sep 2017 13:36

Thanks Andy, yes I see, you've been really helpful. I shall order the certificate and see - maybe the Francis is a misspell.
Thanks again.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 19 Sep 2017 13:36

Worth a look on below link for things Cheshire.

Chris :)

http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/

Cheshire Birth indexes for the years: 1861

BURGESS Samuel John West Macclesfield Cheshire East WMC/26/18

Cheshire Death indexes for the years: 1860

BURGESS John Thomas - West Macclesfield Cheshire East WMC/21/83

Cheshire Birth indexes for the years: 1858

BURGESS John T West Macclesfield Cheshire East WMC/23/15

TabithaQueensland

TabithaQueensland Report 26 Feb 2018 11:51

Thank you so much, Chris.
I ordered the certificates from England, and John Thomas Burgess is the child I was looking for. Sadly, he died of Scarlet Fever before the rest of the family set sail for Australia.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Feb 2018 20:04

Tabitha ...........

just one point.

English birth certificates do not record older siblings.

Nor do English death certificates record anywhere near as much information as Australian ones.