Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burial - Please help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amy

Amy Report 23 Feb 2018 20:12

I really need help to find where someone was buried as I'm not having much luck!

My Grandma was a twin but unfortunately her twin died when she was about 7 weeks old. All we know is that no one could afford a burial so apparently she was buried along with an adult who was also being buried at the time of the funeral.
The other deceased person was not a family member and no one knows their name.

My grandma's sister may be on the grave stone but we're not sure as we don't know how to find where she was buried.

Name: Edith Alice Cawley. Born and died 1929 Tamworth
Death record Vol 6b Page 461

If anyone knows how I can find the grave please help

Thank you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Feb 2018 20:21

The undertakers are probably the only people who would have any idea and that would depend on their having kept records.

I would doubt very much that the infant’s name would be on the gravestone as the deceased adult’s family would be very unlikely to have been aware that the infant was buried with their relative

Amy

Amy Report 23 Feb 2018 20:25

We don't even know what cemetery she was buried at. Do you know how I can find that out?

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 23 Feb 2018 21:04

Looks like below...

Chris :)

Deaths Mar 1930 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------
Cawley Edith A 0 Tamworth 6b 461

Staffordshire Death indexes for the years: 1930

CAWLEY Edith Alice - Tamworth Lichfield T/41/186

http://www.staffordshirebmd.org.uk/index.php

(no idea if below would be any use, from google search. If you give them Address details, they might be able to help locate the nearest)

https://www.tamworth.gov.uk/graves-and-cemeteries

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Feb 2018 23:50

The death certificate should give the address of the parents at the time and if you can find the nearest church to that address you may find a record of the burial at the County Records Office.

My hubby's baby brother was buried in the coffin of a 2 year old girl who had no connection to the family but we still found the record of his burial in the local churchyard at the county records office.

Kath. x

Dea

Dea Report 24 Feb 2018 08:27

Edith died during the night of February 1st 1930 - she was 4 months and 3 weeks old. (Actually, it was between 1.30am and 6.60am on the morning of the 2nd).

At the inquest her address was mentioned as:
The new houses, Coleshill Road, Drayton Bassett.

The child died from asphyxia with no blame attached to the parents. - Accidental death.

Dea x

P.S. - It looks like Wilnecote would have been the closest cemetery ?

Dea x

Amy

Amy Report 24 Feb 2018 10:48

Hi Dea
Where did that info come from? I have her recorded death as 1 DEC 1929? Thabks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Feb 2018 11:05

The info from Dea was in the Tamworth Herald on 8th February 1930 (found on Findmypast).

Definitely suggests that she died between 1.30 am and 6.30 am on the morning of 2nd February 1930.

The reference for the death certificate:-

First name(s) EDITH A
Last name CAWLEY
Gender Female
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1930
Age 0
Death quarter 1
Death year 1930<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
District Tamworth
County Staffordshire
Volume 6B
Page 461
Country England
Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007

Kath. x

Dea

Dea Report 24 Feb 2018 11:08

You should be able to see the article if you click on the link below:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/67370326

Dea x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Feb 2018 11:12

A link to the article here as well:-

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000484%2f19300208%2f069

You can zoom in to make it easier to read.

Kath. x

Amy

Amy Report 25 Feb 2018 16:09

Thank you for this. I've given this to an uncle to look into further. He was unaware that they lived at the address or that this was the date. He always believed she died 1st Dec
Thanks all