Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Graves in Essex

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sonya

Sonya Report 27 Feb 2018 15:14

Please can someone tell me how to find graves for grandparents in Ilford Dec 1936 Thomas Dench and Dec. 1937 his wife Ellen Dench. Family say it was the main cemetery but do not know where in Ilford. They lived at 7 Barley Gardens and he was gardener at the West Ham Asylum. I have looked on various sites but nothing comes up.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Feb 2018 15:31

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2244890/ilford-cemetery

Sonya

Sonya Report 27 Feb 2018 16:09

Thank you..I do not have access to Ancestry any longer.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Feb 2018 16:28

That link was found by googling - not through Ancestry

Sonya

Sonya Report 27 Feb 2018 17:05

Thank you..As soon as I pressed to search I was directed to the Ancestry site and need to subscribe for records. What did I do wrong?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Feb 2018 17:48

It took me in but they didn't have any records

I have found several time that contacting the Parks and Cemeteries dept of the local council giving them the details from the death cert they will search and give you any results

For the time they died it's more likely a municipal cemetery . Or it could be cremation but the council will have those records too

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 27 Feb 2018 17:56

https://www.deceasedonline.com/

(not on above, another perhaps (not online) City of London Cemetery)

Chris :)

24 December 1937 - Chelmsford Chronicle - Chelmsford, Essex, England

FELL ON ELECTRIC FIRE
DAUGHTER'S BID TO SAVE MOTHER
Badly burned in a remarkable accident on Saturday, Mrs. Ellen Dench, aged 83, of Barley Gardens, Goodmayes, was taken to King George's Hospital in a serious condition. While standing near an electric fire in her house, she slipped and fell, and her clothing caught alight. Her daughter Miss Ruth Dench, rushed to her assistance, but was unable to quell the flames. The cries of the two women were heard by a neighbour, Mr. Ellis, and a passer by, Mr. Lockyear, who entered the house and gave assistance.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Feb 2018 18:20

You could contact the local Study and Archives Centre and ask if they could find an obituary in a local newspaper ............... obituaries usually give where the burial will take place.

You will need to get the death certificates (If you haven't already got them ) to determine the exact date of death, and then ask for a search to be done for 2 or 3 weeks after that date.

Or ask for someone on here to search the Newspaper Archives and see if an obituary can be found that way

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 27 Feb 2018 21:44

soyna i know the cemetery you are talking about so i have google a little info for you hope this helps

Buckingham Road Cemetery, Ilford – Genealogy Research | Essex ...
genpals.co.uk/blog/buckingham-road-cemetery-ilford/

19 Feb 2011 - Buckingham Road cemetery was originally called Great Ilford Cemetery. It covers a large area and joins St Mary's churchyard. It is run by the council who are currently restoring it. Unfortunately they were forced to remove the Victorian Chapel which fell victim to dereliction and vandalism. The side of the ...

shelly xx

Sonya

Sonya Report 28 Feb 2018 08:34

Thanks Shelly I will try that one sonya

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 1 Mar 2018 13:13

I think you should try the City of London Cemetery as my dad died in Redbridge and his ashes are there. Its a huge place. I used to live quite near there.

Sonya

Sonya Report 1 Mar 2018 17:35

Thank you all...I will try the cemetery there to see if they have a list of burials.