Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Benjamin Race - church of marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marian

Marian Report 4 Mar 2018 15:40

Hello, I have Benjamin Race who marries Jane Bainbridge on 9 February 1767, Stockton parish. There is a burial for Jane Race on 21 March 1767 wife of Benjamin again Stockton. There is a baptism for a Jane Bainbridge 24 April 1743 at Grindon by Stockton on Tees. All the above are from Family Search. Is there any way I can find out which church they got married?
I have tried FMP but all I get is a thick blue line through my screen.
Thank you.

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 4 Mar 2018 15:46

First name(s) Benjamin
Last name Race
Gender Male
Birth year -
Residence Stockton St Thomas
Marriage year 1767
Marriage date 09 Feb 1767
Marriage place Stockton
Spouse's first name(s) Jane
Spouse's last name Bainbridge
Spouse's residence Stockton St Thomas
County Durham
Country England
Archive reference PR 45
Source year range 1637-1837
Event type Marriages
Document type Parish records
Page 94C

This is what FMP has for the marriage.

Maddie

Maddie Report 4 Mar 2018 15:51

Benjamin
Last name Race
Gender Male
Birth year -
Residence Stockton St Thomas
Marriage year 1767
Marriage date 09 Feb 1767
Marriage place Stockton
Spouse's first name(s) Jane
Spouse's last name Bainbridge
Spouse's residence Stockton St Thomas
County Durham
Country England
Archive reference PR 45
Source year range 1637-1837
Event type Marriages
Document type Parish records
Page 94C

? St Thomas Church

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 4 Mar 2018 15:55

Benjamin Race
England Marriages, 1538–1973
Name: Benjamin Race
Spouse's Name: Jane Bainbridge
Event Date: 09 Feb 1767
Event Place: Stockton Parish, England

Marian

Marian Report 4 Mar 2018 15:58

Thank you both. I have just googled the name of the church at Grindon and it is called St Thomas a Beckett, so I now have the name of the church where they were married. The church is now a ruin.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Mar 2018 22:05

I've been to the church at Grindon and it is lovely. There is an old disused railway track near it that has been turned into the Castle Eden Walkway and Woodland Park. The old Stationmaster's House has been turned into a visitor centre and it's a lovely place to go for a walk on a summers day - or even in the snow. I used to go there to walk after I had my knee replacements and had to try to walk on a daily basis. It was a while before I could visit the church as it is a bit of a climb up from the railway track but well worth it. We only live about a ten minute drive away.

Kath. x

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Mar 2018 23:42

Looking at http://maps.familysearch.org/ which shows 1850 parishes

Clicking on Durham and listing all parishes shows 2 Stockton parishes:

Stockton upon Tees [St Thomas] is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Durham, created in 1713 from chapelry in Norton Ancient Parish.
Stockton upon Tees Holy Trinity is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Durham, created in 1837 from Stockton upon Tees [St Thomas] Ecclesiastical Parish.

So the 1767 church would be St Thomas

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3095901
Subject Location NZ 4455 1924 [10m precision]

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1830803
Holy Trinity Church
Subject Location NZ 442 185 [100m precision]

You can search for OS grid refs like NZ 4455 192 at http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
That will take you to a streetmap at zoom level 2.
Zoomingg in to level 1, churches are maked by PW, i.e., places of worship.
At zoom level 4 (used on inset map at geograph.org) and level 3, churches (with towers) are marked by a square blob with a + on top (spires get a round blob with a +)
At zoom levels 3 & 4, the blue grid lines are 1km apart.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 8 Mar 2018 09:52

https://ancientmonuments.uk/115530-st-thomas-a-beckets-church-grindon/photos/2025#.WqEHJOfLiUk

Pictures of the ruin here.

St Thomas a Becket's Church
A Scheduled Monument in Grindon, Stockton-on-Tees

The nave dates from c. 1190 and is built in large stone blocks, inner and outer blocks being separated and filled with rubble masonry. There were two lancet windows on the south side of the nave, one on north side and one in the west end. The only one now complete is in the west wall under the bell tower, which contained two bells. These windows all had their heads made from two stones without hood moulds and were 14 inches wide with an internal splay.

Marian

Marian Report 8 Mar 2018 21:39

Hello, I only log on every couple of days so only just seen the above, thank you. I logged onto Durham Records on line and I ordered the entry for £1.50 hoping there would be more details like witnesses, unfortunately there wasn't. It is St Thomas, Stockton on Tees, although Jane's burial was at Grindon. Probably didn't have a headstone - thanks again.