Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Annullment

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mumbles

Mumbles Report 15 Mar 2018 13:57

Is it possible to find out if a marriage was annulled ?
If you know that the marriage was some one that was under age at the time i.e. age 20 when the legal age without permission from parents was 21:

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Mar 2018 14:29

I have no idea whether this is correct or not but found this on another site where someone had asked the same question:-

The Principal Registry of the Family Division (PRFD) has responsibility for maintaining the index of all Decrees Absolute (Divorce and Annulments) in England and Wales.

Here's the address:

The Court Service
Principal Registry of the Family Division
Decree Absolute Searches Room 2.03
First Avenue House
42-49 High Holborn
London
WC1V 6NP

Personally I don't think that the fact that the couple lied about their age would be enough to have the marriage annulled.

Kath. x

Mumbles

Mumbles Report 15 Mar 2018 15:41

Thank you Kath,
I forgot to add that this was in Northern Ireland in 1942, so they would have their own department for holding these records:
I will do a google search:

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Mar 2018 03:22

My grandparents both lied about their ages when they married .... although this was in 1902.

I don't think there was any law about it unless that person happened to be under the legal marrying age with parental permission at that period in time

for example ............... 21 legal marrying age without parental permission and 16 or younger with parental permission.