Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FINDING A MATERNAL GRANDFATHER

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hannah

Hannah Report 30 Mar 2018 20:19

Please can you help finding my Mother's biological Father? She was born to Jessie Moorhouse in 1931 Scarborough and no father was on the birth certificate. I haven't found a baptismal record. Jessie married Edward Coates and Mum was officially adopted by her Step-Father around 1950, taking on his name.

Jessie used to live in Grimethorpe, Cudworth, Barnsley and Sheffield South Yorkshire so her boyfriend maybe from this area.

I have several old photos are a few torn letters with Jessie and 'Jim' taken in Blackpool. These were carefully stored and hidden away in her house. He might well be Mum's Father.

Please can you suggest where I might look next to try and discover his identity?

Many thanks

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Mar 2018 22:24

Just for ref marriage in Scarborough

Marriages Sep 1937 (>99%)
Coates Edward Moorhouse Scarbro' 9d 1107
Moorhouse Jessie Coates Scarbro' 9d 1107

1939 register
Coatis Household (4 People)
14 Park Street , Scarborough M.B., Yorkshire (North Riding), England

Jessie Coatis 13 Jan 1908 Female Unpaid Domestic Married 152 2
Edward Coatis 25 Jan 1898 Male Gardener Married 152 1
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Mar 2018 22:40

If the father was taken to court to pay maintenance there may be records of it? I don't know specifics but ( reply from a query on here) such records might be found at " the Magistrate's Court Records Book at the local archives" ?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Mar 2018 22:48

With no father named on the birth certificate and your mother being about 19 when adopted, there may not even be any details of her biological father on the adoption records. I wouldn't even be sure that legal adoption would be necessary for a 19 year old to use her adopted father's name.

Fem

Fem Report 31 Mar 2018 07:32

Hanna, we were able, this past year, to find my Dad's birth fathers' name simply from my niece having her DNA tested. My father was adopted at birth in 1909 with no father's name on his birth certificate. (My father was 31 when he discovered he had been adopted - happily to wonderful adoptive parents.
From the DNA test my niece was contacted by a lady in the USA and from that, and it's been a long and interesting story; from Scotland to the USA, we are now in contact with American cousins! We even have a photo of this long, lost Grandfather and the likeness to me Dad is unbelievable.
Sadly my father didn't live to discover his birth father's name but for us it is such a gift to now know our true bloodline. We have also been successful in finding the family of my Dad's birth mother, her name of course was registered on his birth certificate.I wish you good luck Hanna.
Frances
New Zealand