Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rev Lewis Jenkin Jones 1858-1927

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sonya

Sonya Report 12 Apr 2018 10:51

Please can anyone find a missing period of time. Lewis Jenkin Jones was a Unitarian Minister..born wales Dowlais, married, Rev LJJones in Ipswich 1885-1891, 1891-1895 Bradford, 1895-1911 Plumsted Woolwich where he was also Mayor of Woolwich for 2 terms (I have found a photo) and the first Labour councillor . He was also a listed Labour activist. I have him next as Rev at St Vincent Street Free Church Glasgow in 1916 and his death in Glasgow 1927.
I am unable to find him and his wife Elinor Susan between 1911 and 1916...Any help please. Are there any records other than the census.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 12 Apr 2018 13:40

this is all the site of obituaries of Unitarian Ministers says - there is no info for the years1911-1916

JONES Lewis Jenkin. Aberystwyth, Edinburgh & Bristol. (Cong.) Min 1895-1911, all at London, Wooolwich, which he founded, and 1916-1927 at Glasgow, St Vincent St. D 23 Sept 1927 at Glasgow ae 69. * 1928.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Apr 2018 17:50

He's on the Glasgow electoral register - but only from 1918. At 105 Douglas Street in 1918.

He wasn't living at that address in 1915 - Helen M Boyd was living there then.

On the Valuation rolls on ScotlandsPeople, he's on the 1920 roll, at 105 Douglas Street, but not anywhere in Scotland in 1915.

No help, I'm afraid.

Sonya

Sonya Report 12 Apr 2018 18:31

Thanks for that..still nowhere for 1911-1918

His daughter Muriel married in 1911 (Dec) in Newcastle on Tyne. He was not present and they married in a reg.office. She is down as living at 6, Lily Street Newcastle.....was it a convenience address for just herself as her husband was still living in Woolwich at home. Later years the son Tudor was married by his father. Lewis J Jones in Barnet, but that was 1925.

Sonya

Sonya Report 12 Apr 2018 19:01

Thanks for that..still nowhere for 1911-1918

His daughter Muriel married in 1911 (Dec) in Newcastle on Tyne. He was not present and they married in a reg.office. She is down as living at 6, Lily Street Newcastle.....was it a convenience address for just herself as her husband was still living in Woolwich at home. Later years the son Tudor was married by his father. Lewis J Jones in Barnet, but that was 1925.

Sonya

Sonya Report 12 Apr 2018 19:28

somewhere in my records I am sure there was a mention of his being at Bowling Street Church Bradford Yorks... Perhaps this is the missing time 1912-18. Is there a street register?

Sonya

Sonya Report 13 Apr 2018 10:32

I have just had a contact from Huddersfield University with a link that might give me the information I am missing regards Lewis Jenkins Jones. Lets hope.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 13 Apr 2018 14:45

"somewhere in my records I am sure there was a mention of his being at Bowling Street Church Bradford Yorks... Perhaps this is the missing time 1912-18. Is there a street register?"

There is a newspaper article on Ancestry which says he started his ministry in Ipswich, after 8 years moving to Bradford where he spend 4 years before moving to Woolwich

Sonya

Sonya Report 13 Apr 2018 16:56

Hi I do not have access to Ancestry now. What was the newspaper in question please and the dates.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 14 Apr 2018 07:15

Others below, probably lots more if you have time to 'play' with keywords!...

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

(or Find My Past, Genes, subscription based)

Chris :)

16 May 1891 - East Anglian Daily Times - Ipswich, Suffolk, England

...farewell to the Bee. L. Jenkins Jones, who recently resigned the peatorate of the Oran wade Memorial Charon, and will shortly m his new sphere Bowling Street Congregational Church, Bradford...

(says he resigned the pastorate of Grimwade Methodist Church, will shortly commence in his new sphere at Bowling Street Congregational Church, Bradford)

26 September 1927 - Aberdeen Press and Journal - Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire

The death took place his residence, 105 Douglas Street, Glasgow, of the Rev. L. Jenkins Jones, who had been minister of St Vincent Unitarian Church since January, 1916. Mr Jones, who was a keen social reformer, was for a time Mayor of Woolwich...

28 December 1915 - Daily Record - Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland

NEW UNITARIAN MINISTER FOR GLASGOW, St. Vincent Street Unitarian Church, Glasgow, presented a unanimous call to the Rev. L. Jenkins Jones a week ago. and at a special meeting Mr. Jones' acceptance of the call has been announced to the congregation...

Sonya

Sonya Report 14 Apr 2018 10:11

Thank you. I still need the time between Woolwich in 1911 to 1916 in Glasgow. Lost years!

Sonya

Sonya Report 14 Apr 2018 10:27

Chris..I am trying to make out what this Oran Wade Memorial Charon is| Cannot find anything. Could it actually be GRIMWADE MEMORIAL CHAPEL..The Alan St Methodist Church in Ipswich was founded by Mr Grimwade. Advise please as I am confused.

Dea

Dea Report 14 Apr 2018 10:41

The 'Oran Wade Memorial Charon' mentioned in that newspaper article above is indeed the GRIMWADE MEMORIAL CHURCH if you look at the actual image!

Dea x