Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death of William Hornby

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylann

Sylann Report 15 May 2018 16:24

Hi
I have the death I think of my grandfather on Lancashire bmd William Hornby aged 83 Manchester in 1963. But when I go on the burial site for Manchester nothing is showing ? a family member says he was buried in Philips Park Cemetery Manchester which was very close to where he lived, Is their any other way of finding out more info on this death with out getting the certificate as I have all that I need to know about him and the family , It's just annoying not knowing for sure if this is him and where he was buried

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 May 2018 16:55

Not sure that finding his burial would prove his identity, whereas his death cert would tell you his last address and his occupation. Also, the informant could be related.

malyon

malyon Report 15 May 2018 18:47

William Hornby
England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007
Name William Hornby
Event Type Death
Registration Quarter Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year 1963
Registration District Manchester
County Lancashire
Event Place Manchester, Lancashire, England
Age (available after 1866) 83
Birth Year (Estimated) 1880
Volume 10E
Page 391
Line Number 8

malyon

malyon Report 15 May 2018 18:55

there is this death in 1962

William Hornby
England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007
Name: William Hornby
Event Type: Death
Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration Year: 1962
Registration District: Chorley
County: Lancashire
Event Place: Chorley, Lancashire, England
Age (available after 1866): 82
Birth Year (Estimated): 1880
Volume: 10C
Page: 30
Line Number: 1

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 May 2018 21:14

Is this him in 1939?

Hornby Household (2 People)
12 Hamilton Street , Manchester C.B., Lancashire, England

William Hornby 30 Jan 1880 Male General Labourer - Unemployed Married 70 1
Jane A Hardy (Robinson) 02 May 1917 Female Machinist - Grinder Mofts Married 70 2

mgnv

mgnv Report 15 May 2018 23:46

There's contact info via:

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/200032/deaths_funerals_and_cemeteries/5580/cemeteries_and_crematoria

If he were not buried in a common grave, then finding out who he was buried with can be helpful.

Dea

Dea Report 16 May 2018 11:58

According to find a will site the one who died in 1962 left a widow Ellen Hornby and their address at that stage was 15 St. Stephens Rd., Preston, although William died in Heath Charnock Horpital, Chorley.

Is this the one you want?, if not at least you can now discard it.

I cannot find anything on there for the 1963 death though?

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=hornby&yearOfDeath=1962&page=3#calendar

Dea x

Sylann

Sylann Report 16 May 2018 12:40

Thank you for your help I think he was the one that died 1963 every thing matches and yes that was him in 1939