Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No new posts......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 20 May 2018 19:13

.....in over 24 hours.

Perhaps its time this forum was wound up.

Andy

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 May 2018 19:58

I was just thinking the same thing, Andy, this site seems to be dying a slow death.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 20 May 2018 20:42

Perhaps not slow more racing downhill.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 May 2018 20:51

You know what I believe!

This is the aim of brightsolid ............ if the site winds down on its own, it can disappear and they will not have broken any laws that might have prevented that action.

Dea

Dea Report 20 May 2018 21:10

I was thinking that too but I thought it was my machine that was going 'doo lally' nd not picking up the site ??

Dea x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 May 2018 21:35

For goodness sake, don't bring it to their attention by posting things like that!

It's just a blip with "Find Ancestors" .
"Genealogy", "Military", and "Living Relatives" have all had posts in the last 24 hours.

WhiffingSiggs

WhiffingSiggs Report 20 May 2018 22:37

I'm glad it's still here. It's fairly unique and very helpful. I know that when I've used it, intermittently, over the past 8 or 9 years an answer of some sort always turns up.

1066ronnie

1066ronnie Report 24 May 2018 23:00

What happens now folks in the know, appears requests for help are being posted!!! or is there something below the surface going on?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 May 2018 00:24

requests fro help are being posted, members are helping, as they always have ........ no help has ever been given on these boards by GR staff.

But problems are not being fixed.

we basically seem to be on our own!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 May 2018 10:56

The Genes Reunited Wikipedia page says that Genes has over 13 million members.

I'd be very surprised if that was true. Genes used to mention on the home page how many members it has, but I've noticed that the membership isn't mentioned any more.

When online Genealogy was a new thing Genes were ahead of the game. Unfortunately that isn't the case these days, and it certainly seems to be dying a slow and painful death, but a few of us still keep clinging on!!

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 May 2018 01:16

Kath ..............

there might well be 13 million members if you look at the membership NUMBERS!

Those numbers have been assigned sequentially since the beginning, there is no re-allocation of old numbers. Plus there are an untold number of members who have multiple free memberships

Remember GR never removes a member (except in very rare cases), it is up to the member to either remove themselves and their tree(s) or to make arrangements for someone else to do that.

I've always thought that there are far more free members than subscribers

Like you, I doubt that there are 13 million ACTIVE members, free or subscribing.

Sylann

Sylann Report 1 Jun 2018 15:06

Just reading your posts I was a full member years ago but now I just pay £10 a year I didn't like the way they altered the set up of your tree But I liked the site for this when ever I was stuck their was always some one on here who could help, apart from some who made you feel as though you were thick telling you how to link things together which never worked for me. Apart from all that I think you do a fantastic job always there don't know how you do it you always come up with matches

Thank you for all your help and hope you carry on

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Jun 2018 17:02

Thank you, Sylann.

It's good to know that you like the help members give.

Most of us do it because we just enjoy researching and solving puzzles!