Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charles Philip Baker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 23 May 2018 09:09

Trying to find if my Gt Grandfather was divorced from his wife as family
say he 'disappeared' however, I have now been told he was living in Barton-on-Sea Hampshire possibly in the fifties. Charles Baker born c.1877 Halifax Yorkshire was married to Marie Turner. They lived in Croyden . I have information on Marie but nothing at all on Charles after their marriage so if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Andrew

Andrew Report 23 May 2018 09:14

Marriage for ref

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Jun 1900 (>99%)
Baker Charles Philip Lambeth 1d 847
Turner Marie Lambeth 1d 847

Andrew

Andrew Report 23 May 2018 09:16

Name: Charles P Baker
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877
Relation to Head: Head
Spouse: Marie Baker
Birth Place: Halifax, Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: Croydon
Search Photos: Search for 'Croydon' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
Ecclesiastical parish: Thornton Heath St Paul
Town: Croydon
County/Island: Surrey
Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: Croydon
Sub-registration district: Croydon
ED, institution, or vessel: 74
Neighbors:
Piece: 646
Folio: 187
Page Number: 51
Household schedule number: 357
Household Members:
Name Age
Charles P Baker 24
Marie Baker 25
Vera P Baker 3/12

Andrew

Andrew Report 23 May 2018 09:18

Name: Charles Baker
Age in 1911: 33
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Halifax, Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: Croydon
Search Photos: Search for 'Croydon' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
County/Island: Surrey
Street address: 76 Burlington Rd, Thornton Heath, Surrey
Registration district: Croydon
Registration District Number: 39
Sub-registration district: North Croydon
ED, institution, or vessel: 30
Household schedule number: 46
Piece: 3397
Household Members:
Name Age
Charles Baker 33
Mary Baker 35
Vera Phyllis Baker 10
Edna Adah Baker 8
Charles Roelogg Baker 6
Dora Muriel Baker 5
Philip Ernest Baker 2

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 May 2018 09:19

Just for helper's information this seems to be his birth:-

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:

BAKER, CHARLES PHILIP BEAL
GRO Reference: 1878 M Quarter in HALIFAX Volume 09A Page 475

Kath. x

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 23 May 2018 09:34

Thank you. No sign of any divorce? Family know Marie married again but Charles got "lost" and this is where I am struggling for information.

Andrew

Andrew Report 23 May 2018 09:46

Shown as deceased on daughter marriage in 1927

Name: Phillipa Dora Muriel Baker
Marriage Age: 21
Record Type: Marriage
Birth Date: abt 1906
Marriage Date: 12 Mar 1927
Marriage Place: St John the Baptist, Hampton Wick, Richmond upon Thames, England
Father: Charles Philip Baker
Spouse: John Henri Auguste

Andy

greyghost

greyghost Report 23 May 2018 10:04

Do you know his actual date of birth? If not, the birth certificate would be helpful - this may help to pinpoint him on the 1939 register or if he died from 1969 onwards it would be recorded on his death certificate, if known to the informant.

When and where did Marie remarry? Her marriage certificate to her second husband would show her marital status - i.e. spinster, widowed or divorced - (if truth were told)

EDIT - just seen Andy's post re deceased in 1927 - again if truthful ? She may have been told/ believed he had died.

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 23 May 2018 10:20

Thanks Andy - Didn't know Doras' first name was in fact Phillipa! Her brother, Charles, middle name, Roeloff, was from an earlier relationship their mother had with Roeloff Kotzee (which produced a daughter Irene Sylvia) As I said I have information on Marie but Charles seems to have disappeared, which is what the family stories have led me to believe but recently I was told he had lived in Barton-On-Sea Hampshire so I can only presume he left after their youngest child was born and was considered 'dead' to the family. I have now been told he may have died in 1929 but whether he had another partner I don't know. Thank you for all your help I think the pieces of this bit of family have now come together, Thanks again.
Lynne

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 May 2018 10:32

They had another child in 1915

Births Dec 1915
Baker Raymond V Turner W. Bromwich 6b 1282

Full name Raymond Vere Baker

Fathers occ on cert
Occupation

1915 House Furnisher's Manager

From a tree on ancestry
Raymond Vere Baker
1915–1950

BIRTH 7 SEP 1915 • 52 Broughton Road, Handsworth, Birmingham
DEATH 24 JUN 1950 • HMS Unicorn, Singapore

Same tree has the death for Charles as before 1929

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 23 May 2018 10:59

Still around in 1916

Birmingham Mail 03 April 1916

...an action was brought by Charles Philip Baker of Handsworth against Msssrs Joshua & Julius Thomas and Mr Leon Salberg trading as furnishers under the name of Norton in Bull Street.

Mr Hurst for plaintiff explained that Baker, a married man with six children was induced to come from London in May 1914 to manage defendants business...
-------------------------

Is this the death of their son? Maybe this was the reason they split? who was the informant on the death certificate?

name(s) PHILIP E BAKER
Gender Male
Birth year 1909
Age 9
Death quarter 4
Death year 1918
District Aston
County Warwickshire
Volume 6D Page 999
--------------------------------

As Greyghost said earlier- when did Marie remarry? Do you have that marriage certificate? Is she listed as widowed?

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 23 May 2018 11:17

I have been looking for someone with 'my' Bakers in their tree and haven't been lucky so far but now you have mentioned Ancestry.... .

I wondered how long after the youngest child was born that Charles had left the family home as there doesn't seem to be a trace of him until his death in 1929 in Hampshire. I have managed to find information on Marie and the children but get lost when it comes to Charles Philip

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 23 May 2018 11:47

Marie married Percy Wicks in Lymington Hampshire in October 1929.

I understand that Philip died from diptheria?pneumonia.

I am starting to think that maybe Charles didn't leave after all and the family moved to Hampshire - Charles died in an area of Hampshire and Marie married in another area of Hampshire that same year but of course that doesn't explain why on Doras marriage record in 1927 her father is put as deceased .

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 May 2018 09:08

What is Maria marital status on the 1929 marriage cert

The ancestry tree give his death as before 1929 not actually 1929, presumably because of the new marriage

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 24 May 2018 11:42

Hi Shirley, i don't have the certificate but earlier Andrew found the record of Charles' daughter Doras 1927 marriage and on there it stated her father had died, so the ancestry tree could be right showing Charles had died before 1929