Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Information please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 5 Jun 2018 10:59

Hi I know this may be a long shot but would anyone remember an Ethel Hobbs (nee Rogers) who resided at 7 Howells Row, in Chepstow between 1956 and 1959?

She was my Grandma. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks Julie

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Jun 2018 12:54

Julie, it's unlikely that anyone looking at the boards will know her and very unlikely that anyone who might have known her will find your posting.

Is there anything specific that you hope to find out? If so you can ask on here and helpers will see if there is anything they can do to help. Give as much info as you have and say what it is you want to know.

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Jun 2018 12:56

Would this be her marriage ?

England & Wales marriages 1837-2005 Transcription

First name(s) ETHEL W
Last name ROGERS
Marriage quarter 2
Marriage year 1920
Registration month -
MarriageFinderâ„¢ ETHEL W ROGERS married
George H Hobbs
Spouse's last name Hobbs
District Chepstow
District number -
County Monmouthshire
Country Wales
Volume 11A
Volume as transcribed 11A
Page number 15

------------------------------
and her in 1939 ? Only year of birth given

Household (1 Person)
Mental Hospital , Abergavenny R.D., Monmouthshire, Wales

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) ROLE DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
Ethel W Hobbs Patient ? ? 1900 Female Domestic Duties Unpaid Married 1 513

Domestic duties unpaid is 1939 speak for Housewife !

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Jun 2018 13:03

Hobbs Household (3 People)
Crick , Chepstow R.D., Monmouthshire, Wales

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
George (H) Hobbs 01 Jan 1899 Male General Labourer Married 110 1
Victor Hobbs 28 Mar 1928 Male At School Single 110 2
Bessie (G) Hobbs (Huddy) 14 Jan 1897 Female House Keeper Married 110 3

No closed records but another possible 4 children to the marriage b Chepstow

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Jun 2018 13:15

This family has been researched at length

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1371605

Julie

Julie Report 5 Jun 2018 13:43

Hello Greyghost

Thank you for the information and yes that is Ethel. My reason for asking is that she was discharged from Penyfal Hospital in 1956 and then readmitted in 1959. I have been informed by Gwent archives that she lived at 7 Howells Row, Chepstow when she came out of the hospital and so was wondering if anyone would know her from that time?

Yes Erika thank you for giving the link on my family research but this is a different question?

I am sorry if I appear to be asking too much.

Thank you Julie

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Jun 2018 15:12

It's not that you're asking too much, but you gave little information initially and so members, whilst asking what you really want to know, start trying to find information. In this case, it had all been found before so repeated here (someone recognised the names and put a link to the previous thread to stop duplicate research etc).

It's better to continue about the same person in particular, but same family also, on the original thread. Adding to it brings it to the top of the list and you can just alter your heading to something like "further help please see post on date/time"

Julie

Julie Report 5 Jun 2018 16:13

Thank you have now done this.

Julie

Julie Report 5 Jun 2018 16:14

Hope I have added this correctly to the original thread?