Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Patrick Rae born c 1685 Stirlingshire Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BurgessRae

BurgessRae Report 18 Aug 2018 01:37

Hello Genes-reunited family,
I'm stuck trying to find the parents of Patrick Rae. Thanks in advance for your help.
Here is what I know so far.
Patrick Rae married Margaret Munteth on 9 June 1710 in Muiravonside, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
The wedding record says he was born in 1685.
They had several children, one of who is my ancestor James Rae (b 1721) who married Margaret Paul. All the children seem to have been born in Muiravonside.
On ancestry.com I can see ancestry trees which say he was born 3 Dec 1689 in Muiravonside but I cannot find any record of this to confirm, nor his parents. I've looked on scotlandspeople & familysearch.
Many thanks for any suggestions.

BurgessRae

BurgessRae Report 18 Aug 2018 02:00

"Rae" is spelt many ways: James Rae (born 1721) record says James "Roo" born 14 May 1721 to Patrick Roo and Margaret Munteth in Muiravonside, Stirlingshire, Scotland.

BurgessRae

BurgessRae Report 18 Aug 2018 05:43

The Children of Patrick Rae (Roo, Ree) and Margaret Munteth (Monteith) are Margaret (b 1711) John (b 1714) Elisabeth (b 1719) James (b 1721) David (b 1724) and Alexnder (b 1726). All born in Muiravonside.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Aug 2018 10:26

I agree - there's no sign of any such birth on SP or FS.

A tree on FS also says he was born 3 Dec 1689 - but the tree owner says they got that from an Ancestry family tree, so they've just copied the info without checking. The FS tree also claims his parents were James Rae and Janet Hardie.

There are records of a John Rae/Rea and a Janet Hardie having several children, but none called Patrick - and all in Roxburghshire, not Stirlingshire.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Aug 2018 10:31

These are the only births of a Patrick Rae (or variation) 1670-1700.

Neither of them is your Patrick (too young, apart from any other consideration) , and I know you'll have seen them, but I'll post them for elimination purposes, for helpers' benefit:

RAE
PATRICK
JAMES RAE/
M
12/01/1700
289/
10 149
Glamis

RAE
PATRICK
THOMAS RAE/JENET GIBSONE FR16 (FR16)
M
03/01/1692
646/
10 18
Govan

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Aug 2018 10:51

I've ploughed my way through dozens of the Ancestry trees giving his birth as 3 Dec 1689.

I don't know where the rumour originated - maybe one of the trees I haven't looked at, or one of the private trees - and I'm not looking at any more.
They all say they got their information from Ancestry Family Trees - which means they just copied from someone else.
Lots of very suspect and plain wrong information - some have his birth as 1689 in Muiravonside, but his baptism in 1684 in Fala, Midlothian!

Some include a Milwaukee, Wisconsin Street Directory record for a Patrick and Margaret Rae in 1866 - by which time Patrick would have been approx. 177 years old!

One has him married to a completely different wife, but with his actual children (plus one or two random others, not born in Muiravonside).

I suspect you've reached a dead end. We all have some of those, frustrating as they are.

BurgessRae

BurgessRae Report 18 Aug 2018 12:44

Thanks for having a look for me. Much appreciate your interest. Yes, I suspect it might be a dead-end. Always interesting how the same information ends up in lots of trees, but without a source. I have looked at the James Rae / Janet Hardie line, but I agree, the time lines just don't add up.
Thanks again.