Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Liverpool pub

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 24 Aug 2018 00:41

Does anyone know of a pub at 51 Paley Street, Liverpool (possibly demolished now). My grandmother's brother ran a pub at this address and it was there in 1939 but I can't find the name of it. I've tried Googling but now luck.

Thanks.

Dea

Dea Report 24 Aug 2018 07:54

I have found several mentions in the newspapers of people in Paley St around 1943 so it did exist then but I can't find any of their names on 1939 register???

I have just found one which gives the address as Paley St., Walton Lane, so I am off in search of Walton Lane.

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 24 Aug 2018 08:18

FOUND IT !!!

I don't know what it is mistranscribed as but if you do a search of 1939 register for William E Garner born c 1892, you will find him at 74 Paley St !!! (a couple of years before he was killed in the 1941 Blitz).

Who is it 'you' are looking for ?

There is an Albert Leach with wife Sarah A at No. 51 who is down as a bar man (Public House) but no name of the Pub I am afraid - I will see if I can find the transcription.........

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 24 Aug 2018 08:19

Here we are :

Leach Household (3 People) 51 Bodley Street , Liverpool C.B., Lancashire, England
Start free family tree
View original image
Print
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Occupation
Albert E Leach 06 Jun 1902 Bar Man (Public House)
Sarah A Leach 09 Apr 1909 Unpaid Domestic Duties
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.

Dea x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Aug 2018 09:08

His job was as a barman in a public house. That doesn’t necessarily mean he lived in the pub, or that he ‘ran’ it

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 24 Aug 2018 09:46

It doesn't appear to have been a pub in 1911, as Erika said, he may have worked at a nearby pub:

Street address: 51 Paley St Lpool
Registration district: West Derby
George Wedekind 31 Head Dock labourer Liverpool
Florence Lucy Wedekind 31 Wife London
George Wedekind 6 son Liverpool

Dea

Dea Report 24 Aug 2018 11:47

It would be impossible to find which Pub he worked in at that time without some further clues.

We could search the census for the nearest Pub but he may have had to walk or travel past many Pubs to get to the one where he worked so that would be utterley useless.

Dea x

malyon

malyon Report 24 Aug 2018 11:51

could be called paley close now looking on google maps

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Aug 2018 12:02

As others have said, the couple living at 51 Paley Street in 1939 were doing just that - living there. Albert's occupation was a barman in a Public House, but not at the address where he was living.

Kath. x

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 24 Aug 2018 15:46

Thanks for this. Albert Leach was my grandmother's brother and I'd hoped that I could find the name of the pub but if he didn't actually live there then I'm not sure how important it is. Thanks for your help on this.