Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Rae b 1782 Stirlingshire, Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BurgessRae

BurgessRae Report 24 Aug 2018 03:23

Hello
I was wondering if someone could help find more information about William Rae, born 8 December 1782 in Muiravonside, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
I know he married Catherine Bell on 22 November 1812 in Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland. On the marriage certificate is listed as "A Soldier in the King's 3rd Guard".
Does anyone have any ideas on what regiment this might have referred to?
I know he had one son called William who was born in October 1813, but I cannot find his death. I wonder if perhaps he died in service?
Any clues on finding more about his military life, or death would be greatly appreciated. I notice a lot of ancestry trees say he died in 1822 but I cannot find a source for this.
Many thanks in advance.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Aug 2018 08:51

Have you tried googling for the army info

The birth and death info should be on Scotlands People if he stayed in Scotland

But will be parish records as official bmds didnt start till 1855

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Aug 2018 10:47

Re Scots Guards -

"Third Regiment of Guards
In 1712 the regiment was renamed 3rd Guards and both battalions were based in London. They were now a fully fledged Household regiment. In 1719 a detachment of the 3rd Guards returned to Spain with other Guards detachments to carry out a punitive raid on the port of Vigo, a base used by the Jacobites. "

https://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyunits/britishinfantry/scotsguards.htm

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Aug 2018 10:50

Re possible death in 1822 - looks like he probably died in the UK, if the date is correct:

"During the Long Peace from 1815 to 1854, the regiment remained in Britain except for a brief tour of duty in Portugal. King John VI of Portugal had gone to Brazil during the Peninsula War, leaving the army to be commanded by the British. After the war he was reluctant to come home and political unrest took hold. When John died in 1826 a war of succession broke out between his two sons, Pedro and Miguel. A British force was sent to restore order and the 2nd battalion Scots Guards was part of the force. "

(From the same link above)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Aug 2018 11:15

There's no record of a William Rae dying anywhere in Scotland in 1822, per SP.

As you know, you really can't go by "info" on anyone's tree, except as a starting point for your own research into the actual facts.
One of the trees which says he died in 1822 (no place or reference given), then goes on to say he was living in Duns, Berwickshire in 1851!

It also lists children born up to 1832.
The "proof" for the existence of all those children seems to be 1841 census showing a family in Ednam, Roxburghshire, with father William (1781 Scotland), but mother Hannah (1791 Scotland) - nee Murray. So clearly not the right family.
There's also lots of wrong and contradictory "info" about other members of that wrong family.

If he didn't die in Scotland, then there's little hope of finding his death, especially with the myriad ways of spelling his surname.

Have you found Catherine in 1841?

BurgessRae

BurgessRae Report 24 Aug 2018 22:09

Hi Thanks everyone for your ideas, sorry about my delay getting back online - different time zone to everyone else.

I haven't found Catherine in 1841, but I do know that she was deceased by 1868. Their son William's death certificate has mother Ann Rae nee Bell deceased.

safc

safc Report 24 Aug 2018 22:21

????

1841 Census
13 Records found

Piece: SCT1841/288 Place: Forfar -Angus Enumeration District: 9
Civil Parish: Forfar Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Forfar
Folio: 10 Page: 8
Address: Archies Park

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
RAE William M 54 Hlw Army Pensioner Angus
RAE Mrs F 53 Angus
RAE William (Jnr) M 22 Tailor Journeyman England
RAE James M 17 Hand Loom Weaver England
RAE Mary F 13 Angus
RAE Joseph M 11 Angus
RAE Elisabeth F 7 Angus
URQUHART George M 40 Agricultural Labourer Angus
URQUHART Mrs F 40 Angus
URQUHART Christina F 11 Angus
URQUHART Agnes F 9 Angus
URQUHART Robert M 5 Angus
URQUHART Jess F 2 Angus

BurgessRae

BurgessRae Report 25 Aug 2018 00:19

I have missed this one before, probably because geographical it is a bit removed from where the wider family was (my Raes are from Stirling / Fife), but I guess as a soldier he may well have moved around so definite possibility. I'll check it out. Thanks.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Aug 2018 10:51

Same family in 1851 - but wife is Elizabeth, so not the right family:

William Rae
in the 1851 Scotland Census
Name: William Rae
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1787
Relationship: Head
Spouse: Elizabeth Rae
Where born: Forfar, Forfarshire
Parish Number: 288
Civil Parish: Forfar
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Maps:
View related Ecclesiastical Parish
County: Angus
Address: W
ED: 13
Page: 12
Household schedule number: 54
LINE: 11
Roll: CSSCT1851_64
Household Members:
Name Age
William Rae 64
Elizabeth Rae 62
Joseph Rae 20
Elizabeth Rae 17

And 1861:

Elizabeth Rae
in the 1861 Scotland Census
Name: Elizabeth Rae
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1834
Relationship: Sister
Where born: Forfar, Forfarshire
Registration Number: 288
Registration district: Forfar
Civil Parish: Forfar
County: Angus
Address: 11 Wah St
ED: 12
Household schedule number: 77
LINE: 6
Roll: CSSCT1861_42
Household Members:
Name Age
Joseph Rae 31
Ann Rae 24 - wife
William Rae 3
Mary Ann Rae 3
David Rae 11 Mo
Elizabeth Rae 27

No sign of the parents - they must have died, though I don't see their death records.

BurgessRae

BurgessRae Report 25 Aug 2018 12:35

Thanks for looking for me.