Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how to search immigration records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nellie123

Nellie123 Report 2 Sep 2018 22:10

Henry Baxter wed Margaret Douglas in Glasgow Scotland in 1824 ..They had a daughter Jane Baxter ,I can not find Henry and Margaret after 1824 nor can I find a birth for their daughter Jane , she come,s to light in Ireland 1871 when she gets married to George McNaught she was his 2nd wife many thanks Nellie

greyghost

greyghost Report 2 Sep 2018 22:40

From Family Search - marriage of Henry and Margaret - showing on FMP

Name Henry Baxter
Spouse's Name Margaret Douglas
Event Date 26 Dec 1824
Event Place High Church,Paisley,Renfrew,Scotland

greyghost

greyghost Report 2 Sep 2018 22:43

Party 1 Name GEORGE MCNAUGHT
Party 2 Name JANE BAXTER
Date of Event 21 December 1871
Group Registration ID 2742483
SR District/Reg Area Stranorlar - in County Donegal

from image - both of full age, widower and spinster

George is a ---- and Music Teacher of Flemings town and Jane a Governess of ?

Jane's Father is shown as Henry a Farmer, George's as John McNaught a Farmer

George signed and Jane made her mark - seems odd if a Governess?

Witnesses - ---Moorehead and Samuel McClune or McClure

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Sep 2018 22:52

Previous thread about this family - might save some duplication of research:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1371597

See mainly towards the end of the thread - the beginning starts off on a false trail.

greyghost

greyghost Report 2 Sep 2018 22:52

There won't be immigration records as Ireland was British at the time.

How do you know who Jane's parents were?

Do you know Jane's approx. birth year?

What led you to Jane and therefore to the parents you name?

Do you have sight of George and Jane anywhere after their marriage?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Sep 2018 23:06

Per the other thread, Jane McNaught's death cert gives her parents as Henry Baxter and Margaret Douglas.

There's no sign of Jane's birth on SP, so presumably she was indeed born in Ireland.

Jane was born approx. 1834-41, according to 1881 and 1891 censuses (living in Glasgow) - per other thread.

greyghost

greyghost Report 2 Sep 2018 23:11

Yes, I can see all that info on the other thread now it's been pointed out. A good reason Nellie 123 to keep to the same thread about the same family or at least post a link to it or give as much info as possible when asking for help.

Nellie123

Nellie123 Report 3 Sep 2018 15:37

My great grandfather was Samuel McNaught born 1862 in Ireland his parents were George Mcnaught and Eliza Allen both to my knowledge born in Ireland when Eliza died George married Jane Baxter in 1871 , Jane died 1915 Anderson Glasgow Scotland and her parents were on her death cert as were george,s on his death 1889 also Anderson Scotland ,I have tried searching for both their parents but with no luck , This is why I thought that just maybe that Jane,s parents might have immigrated ,I also thought with this being a different subject that I would have to start a new topic sorry if i was wrong
nellie

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 3 Sep 2018 16:55

Having read through the other thread, why do you think that the marriage of Henry Baxter and Margaret Douglas took place in Scotland please? If their daughter Jane was born in Ireland it is quite possible that her parents married there. Just because a Henry Baxter married a Margaret Douglas about the right time in Paisley doesn't necessarily connect them to a Jane Baxter born in Ireland who came to Glasgow after her marriage.

Nellie123

Nellie123 Report 3 Sep 2018 17:21

When I found out that their daughter Jane was George,s 2nd wife I search for parents in Ireland did not find them so tried Scotland and that was where I got their marriage in 1824 and took it to be her parents

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Sep 2018 17:31

Unfortunately, Irish records are patchy.
Many were destroyed by fire in 1922.

https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/irish-records-burned.html

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 3 Sep 2018 21:01

While I am not saying the marriage you have found isn't that of your Jane's parents, I personally would want more proof before I added it to my tree. Statutory records started later in Ireland so even if that Henry and Margaret moved to Ireland, they may have died before registration began.

There is no paper trail that I can see to show that Jane is the daughter of that particular Henry and Margaret.

Nellie123

Nellie123 Report 3 Sep 2018 22:17

Thanks everyone for your help and information ,I also agree with Greyghost,s comment about Jane ... It is odd that if she was a governess why did she do the letter ..x.. on her marriage cert , would there be any way I could find more on George being a music teacher or is that just a thought to far ..many Thanks
Nellie

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Sep 2018 23:25

Although the 1871 marriage record says that George was a precentor and music teacher , in 1881 in Glasgow he's just a general labourer.

Maybe just because he hadn't managed to find work as a music teacher??
Perhaps they hadn't been in Scotland long - the youngest child, Margaret, was born(or maybe baptised) 3 Dec 1872, so they moved to Scotland some time between then and 1881.

In 1889 he's a watchman:

George McNaught
in the Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, Electoral Registers, 1857-1962
Name: George McNaught
Residence Year: 1889
Address: 27 Catherine street
Residence Place: Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Parliamentary Division: Glasgow

Nellie123

Nellie123 Report 3 Sep 2018 23:30

Thank you Argyllgran ..how where would I search to find when they moved to Scotland is there another site I should look at please thank you
nellie

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 4 Sep 2018 16:12

It might be worth checking out the Poor Relief record (indexed and held in the Mitchell Library, Glasgow). If Jane need either financial or medical help after George died she may have applied for relief. Poor Relief records can be a godsend when researching Irish ancestors. I found my Great grandmother's applications for relief. Although she was a Glaswegian, she married a man in Tipperary. Every time she came home to visit her mother, she concocted a story so she could make a claim. The records reveal where in Ireland she had married, the date of the marriage and even the name of the priest officiating. It named her husband's parents and all her children, including those married, giving their ages in years and months. The chances are, if your Jane claimed relief, the application will tell you when the family came to Glasgow and list all the address that they had stayed at and for how long.

Nellie123

Nellie123 Report 4 Sep 2018 19:36

Thank you

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Sep 2018 20:49

As already said, there won't be any record of their travel to Scotland - it didn't count as immigration.

You'll have to hope to find clues such as Rootgatherer has suggested, to try to narrow down the timescale.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Sep 2018 21:06

In 1879 there's a George McNaught, labourer, at 214 Main Street - but no way to know if that's him, or another George McNaught. It's not an uncommon name.

George McNaught
in the Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, Electoral Registers, 1857-1962
Name: George McNaught
Residence Year: 1879
Residence Place: Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Parliamentary Division: Glasgow