Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Walter Frederick Ernest MILLER b1927

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 4 Sep 2018 10:05

Does anyone have access to electoral rolls for Canada during the 1960's, 70's, 80's and/or 90's?

I'm trying to trace the following persons during the periods above:

Watler Frederick Ernest MILLER
b1927 London, UK - possible death d1992 Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

married Dec 1961 Harrow District, Middlesex, UK

Gillian M BLAKE
no birth or death info

Two children:

Tracy MILLER
b1962 Watford, Hertfordshire, UK

Derrick MILLER
c1964 Canada (year is an estimate)

Many thanks for any help anyone can give.

Regards,
Rebecca

Maddie

Maddie Report 4 Sep 2018 10:34

latest one if it is him`
Walter Fredrick Miller

in the Canada, Voters Lists, 1935-1980

Name: Walter Fredrick Miller
Year: 1962
Electoral District: Vancouver-Quadra

tree on ancestry has no census recorded but has a photo of him when he was young

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 4 Sep 2018 10:49

Hi Maddie,

Is his wife with him that we can be sure it's the correct Walter Frederick MILLER?

Thanks,
Rebecca

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Sep 2018 10:56

The other person living at the same address is a Mrs Anne R Miller.
Probably not the same person.

Maddie

Maddie Report 4 Sep 2018 10:57

sorry not him, with Mrs ann miller
maddie

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Sep 2018 11:51

No idea if this could be them or not - not BC, but of course they might have moved before Walter Frederick's death.
How sure are you of the spelling of his wife's name ?

Jillian Miller
Name: Jillian Miller
Year: 1965
Electoral District: York East

She's with a Fred Miller, test engineer, at 510 Dawes Road..

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 4 Sep 2018 11:58

Thanks to Maddie & DetEcTive for your help, indeed that's not him.

Hi ArgyllGran,

Thanks. I think this could be them. I believe Walter may have gone by his second name Fred, and he was indeed an engineer.

Although their marriage registration shows a G for Gillian, his wife may well have used a J.

Do you see them any later after 1965 by any chance?

Thanks again,
Rebecca

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Sep 2018 12:11

No, not with that spelling.
There are lots of Gillian Millers, some with middle initial M, but so far I haven't found one living with a Fred or Walter.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Sep 2018 12:14

Oh yes, here are Jillian and Fredric (that's the way it's spelled on the list), electronic technician, at 118 Glenwood Crescent.
But that's earlier than the other record I posted.;

Jhllan Miller [ Jillian on image ]
Name: Jhllan Miller
Year: 1963
Electoral District: York East

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 4 Sep 2018 12:25

HI ArgyllGran,

I'm now wondering whether Walter may not have died in 1992. So he may not have been in British Columbia after all. It might be another Walter MILLER who died in 1992. I will edit the original request above.

Yes, that looks like them again in 1963. I wouldn't expect them together in Canada before the birth of their daughter Tracy in 1962 as this took place in the UK. Their son Derrick was born in Canada and I estimate 1964 for his birth. It would be great if we are able to trace Derrick's birth registration which is most probably in York, Ontario area if that's where they were living in 1963-1965.

Thanks again.
Rebecca

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Sep 2018 12:44

Derrick’s birth won’t be on line. Canada has stricter privacy laws than the UK. Although it varies from one Province to another, the 1960s is far too recent. As a rule of thumb, you’d be looking at a 100 years closure for births.
BMD are held locally not Federally.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 4 Sep 2018 12:46

Hi DetEcTive,

Thanks for that info on the birth registrations. So Derrick's birth will remain an estimation for now.

Regards,
Rebecca

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Sep 2018 12:47

Due to changes in regulations, 1918 and newer birth registrations and indexes will not be transferred to the Archives of Ontario until 104 years after the year of registration. The 1918 birth registrations and indexes will be transferred to the Archives in 2023.

Marriage registrations for 1937 and death registrations for 1947 are closed for digitization. Please contact us if you require a copy for legal or humanitarian reasons.

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/en/tracing/the_records.aspx

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Sep 2018 12:54

If you need further details for Gillian M Blake, you’d need to purchase a copy of her MC. There’s too many options on a general search to identify the correct person.

There are 4 births which might fit the criteria with
Gillian spelt with a G - 1936, 1939 x 2 & 1944.

Have you searched all members trees for Walter F E Miller or his English born son? If listed, it’s possible the tree owner had further information.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 4 Sep 2018 13:11

Hi DetEcTive,

I do not know G(J)illian M BLAKE's birth year. Indeed Walter and Jillian's marriage certification should give me her birth year via her age at time of marriage. Will investigate this route moving forward. They married in the UK in Q4 1961 Harrow, Middx district.

I'm assuming Jillian was born in the UK as was Walter, and their first daughter Tracy born Q1 1962 Watford District, Herts, UK. It was only their son Derrick that was born in Canada. I will investigate whether legal/humanitarian rights are valid to request or search for a birth registration for Derrick.

I have sent emails to those people will possible matches in their trees and am awaiting replies.

Thanks again for the great information.

Regards,
Rebecca