Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joseph Maguire 1912 Northern Ireland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 19 Sep 2018 18:37

I'm looking for a marriage in Northern Ireland,probably in the Belfast area(?) between 1928 & 1937 for the above fellow to persons unknown(unfortunately).He was born in 1912.The next I know of him is in Barrow-in-Furness in 1937 where he has a daughter to Margaret Jane Robinson-Mary Josephine Maguire.The couple were together for 37 years before marrying in 1974 in Barrow-in-Furness.I have their marriage certificate which states that both parties previous marriages were dissolved ? I cannot find any record for either party having married before in England (that fits in).
I can't find Margaret Jane on the 1939 register in Barrow-in-Furness,(she was born in 1905 in Kilkeel,Northern Ireland),but,as she had a child born in 1937 (Mary Josephine Maguire) & another in 1939 (William Patrick Maguire),both in Barrow-in-Furness, I'd assume she was there ? I've found Joseph at 15,Silverdale Street in Barrow-in-Furness on the 1939 register-he's married,but on his own? I checked Electoral Rolls in Barrow-in-Furness today,but couldn't find them prior to WW2 at Silverdale Street,but found them in 1945 in Franklin Street,Barrow-in-Furness.(Another daughter-Elizabeth C is born in 1945)
One of them,either Joseph or Margaret Jane is said to have had a daughter born in Northern Ireland in the early 1930s prior to coming to England.That daughter is said to have been called Francis.
Any help much appreciated.

***This is a follow on thread from my previous thread regarding Joseph Maguire 1912,I didn't know whether to continue on that one or start a new thread***

THANK YOU.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Sep 2018 18:43

Better to keep it all on one thread - people will otherwise use time looking for info which has already been found

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1373714

Try the following site

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/go-groni-online

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 19 Sep 2018 18:51

Thanks ErikaH.

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 20 Sep 2018 11:15

Many thanks ErikaH.I've now found his first marriage in 1934.

Just gotta find his 2nd wifes Northern Ireland records now.I've got her birth in 1905 in Kilkeel Workhouse (Margaret Jane Robinson),but,at present can't find her first marriage or children.Said to be,Evelyn,Peggy (Margaret ?& Dot (Dorothy) all said to have been born in Northern Ireland.

Any info much appreciated.

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 15 Oct 2018 15:42

I'm now looking for the marriage of Margaret Jane Robinson,probably in the Belfast area,between say 1921 & 1937.I can't find one on any sites I've visited? Also,I can't find the births of her children-Evelyn,Margaret (Peggy) or Dorothy who were also born in that period.I can't find them in anyones family trees,nor can I find them on the 1939 register.Dorothy married in Barrow-in-Furness to Allan Richardson & had no children.Evelyn married Wilfred Murphy in Barrow-in-Furness in 1952,one child-Wilfred born 1958,but died 1958.Margaret married John Wilkes in Barrow-in-Furness in 1951,three children-Allan,Colin & Jacqueline,but none of them had any knowledge of their birth dates,their fathers name, or POB.It's said to be Ireland & that they came to Barrow-in-Furness aged around 15-16 years old. By early 1940s,Margaret Jane is living with Joseph Maguire in Barrow-in-Furness,they couldn't get married,as neither were divorced.They eventually married in 1974.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Oct 2018 15:51

As the children were named Robinson, she probably didn't marry

That would explain why they had no knowledge of their father(s)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Oct 2018 15:54

Cumbria Marriage indexes for the years: 1951
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
ROBINSON Dorothy RICHARDSON Alan Barrow-in-Furness Register Office or Registrar Attended Cumbria Certificate Services C1/54/128

Cumbria Marriage indexes for the years: 1952
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
ROBINSON Evelyn MURPHY Wilfred Barrow-in-Furness Register Office or Registrar Attended Cumbria Certificate Services C1/54/194
ROBINSON Margaret J WILKES John Barrow-in-Furness Register Office or Registrar Attended Cumbria Certificate Services C1/55/58

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Oct 2018 16:11

You won't find the births of the children

This is from the GRONI site which you used to find Maguire's first marriage

Northern Ireland historic registration records are available to search online. The records available are:

birth records over 100 years old
marriage records over 75 years old
death records (including World War II death records) over 50 years old

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 15 Oct 2018 16:16

THANK YOU.I was told by their half brother-William Maguire,that his half sisters were all to the same father & that they were born in Northern Ireland.On Margaret Janes marriage certificate from 1974,it does say 'previous marriage dissolved' ? Williams 'full' sister-Joyce (Mary Josephine) was born in 1937,to Margaret Jane Robinson & Joseph Maguire, in Barrow,the girls are all older than her.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Oct 2018 16:36

Do the daughters wish you to pursue this matter?

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 15 Oct 2018 17:11

Several members of the family have attempted previously to do the family tree,including their children & grandchildren,to no avail.Three/maybe four are members of Genes Reunited.We've almost completed the Maguire side now,but stuck on the Robinson side.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Oct 2018 17:22

Not quite what I asked.

The three Robinson daughters are probably alive, so have they given their permission for someone to look into their lives?

Just being cautious.................