Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burial record - where to look advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beth

Beth Report 14 Oct 2018 19:13

Hi - I am trying to find the burial place of Christopher William WESTERMAN who died Oct 1820 in Cottingham, Yorkshire. Where should I look for his resting place - any ideas? Back then, Cottingham would have been quite a small village and I'd like to know where he lived etc. Thank you!

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 14 Oct 2018 19:34

Looks likely to be the local parish church, if he was aged about 56 and buried in November.

Record set Yorkshire, Bishop's Transcripts Of Burials
First name(s) Christopher
Last name Westerman
Burial year 1820
Birth year 1764
County Yorkshire (East Riding)
Country England
Burial place Cottingham
Age at death 56
Burial date 21 Nov 1820
Archive Borthwick Institute for Archives
Page 47
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Burials
Collections from England, Great Britain

From wikipedia:

Cottingham parish church, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, was built between 1272 and 1370; it is a large cruciform stone-built church in a mixture of the decorated and perpendicular Gothic styles. The tower was built in the 15th century.[17][map 4] Nicholas de Luda (d. 1382), a capuchin friar, who built or re-built the chancel, is commemorated by a brass in the church.[18][19] The church was designated a Grade I listed building in 1967.[17]

Beth

Beth Report 14 Oct 2018 19:49

Thank you! This sounds about right - I have him as birth May 1762, death 21 Oct 1820.