Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christopher and Sarah Pashley born Sheffield

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janette

Janette Report 7 Jan 2019 14:04

Hi was wondering if some one could help me please.Christopher Pashley was born about 1835 Sheffield and died in 1902 at Wadsley Asylum.he was married in 1868 Shefield to Sarah Smith born 1836. she died 1905 at Sheffield Union.they were both file cutters . was wondering why Christopher died in the Asylum and did Sarah die in the Sheffield Union because she was poor.thanks Janette

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jan 2019 14:09

Do you have Sarah's death certificate? It may tell you whether she had another "usual address" if she had just gone to the infirmary part of the workhouse because she was ill. These were the only "hospitals" that normal working people could use. Just because she died there does not mean that she lived there.

Kath. x

Janette

Janette Report 7 Jan 2019 14:13

Hi KathleenBell no sorry I don't have her death certificate only wedding certificate and living at Bailey street Sheffield.thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jan 2019 14:18

Just wondered how you knew she died at Sheffield Union if you don't have her death certificate? This is the reference for ordering it:-

First name(s) SARAH
Last name PASHLEY
Gender Female
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1836
Age 69
Death quarter 2
Death year 1905
District Sheffield
County Yorkshire
Volume 9C
Page 317
Country England
Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007

Kath. x

safc

safc Report 7 Jan 2019 14:20

PASHLEY, Christopher (File Cutter, age 67).
Died at Wadsley Asylum; Buried on September 23, 1902 in General ground;
Grave Number 99, Section D of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister, C G Holt.
Plot Owner: of . Page No
Find Similar in Same Grave Same Household if Available Surname Match if Available

PASHLEY, Sarah (widow, age 69).
Died at Sheffield Union; Buried on April 13, 1905 in General ground;
Grave Number 99, Section D of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: ~ Officiating Minister, C G Holt.
Plot Owner: of . Page No

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jan 2019 14:21

You may already have this from FMP

First name(s) Christopher
Last name Pashley
Sex Male
Birth year 1831
Age 69
Status/occupation File Cutter
Admission year 1900
Admission date 10 Mar 1900
Institution Middlewood Hospital, Sheffield
Cause of insanity Not Known
Outcome Died
Death year 1902
Discharge/removal/death date 18 Sep 1902
Residence Sheffield
County Yorkshire
Country England
Archive Sheffield Archives
Reference NHS 3/5/1/13
Record set South Yorkshire Asylum, Admission Records
Category Institutions & organisations
Subcategory Hospitals
Collections from England, Great Britain

The transcription is from records held at Sheffield Archives. It would be worth enquiring there about his case file should it have survived.

His admission could have been from anything from epilepsy or brain tumour through to dementia including those which we now recognise as a genuine Mental illness.

Janette

Janette Report 7 Jan 2019 14:22

Hi thankyou I will order the certificate,i found the info on Sheffield indexers under burials when I was looking for Christopher Pashley Janette x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jan 2019 14:25

This is the only baptism I can see around that time and in that area for a Christopher Pashley (his mother was a single woman):-

First name(s) Christopher
Last name Pashley
Birth year -
Baptism year 1838
Baptism date 29 Apr 1838
Baptism place Tickhill
Denomination Anglican
Father's first name(s) -
Mother's first name(s) Mary
County Yorkshire (West Riding)
Country England
Archive reference P56-1-A4
Page 188
Archive Doncaster Archives
Record set Yorkshire Baptisms
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Baptisms

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jan 2019 14:40

Hope you can find Christopher’s file at Sheffield Archives. My grt grt grandmother was admitted to an asylum but died 3 days later, probably from pneumonia. Bear in mind that cold baths were an accepted treatment for ‘insanity’. Her records say that she was ‘troublesome’ and kept declaring that she ‘would tell her husband’. It’s pretty obvious that she was suffering from dementia.

Janette

Janette Report 7 Jan 2019 14:44

Thank you every one for your help I will order a death certificate and I will get in touch with Sheffield Archives thanks again.