Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A service number

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Jan 2019 10:37

can anyone please tell me if you need a service number and where would I apply to get service records of my SIL Grandfather, his name was Henry Jerry Elvin, born 12/9/1925 and Died 17/8/1996.

Thanks
Sandra

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Jan 2019 10:55

Have a look here:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

For the service records of someone who died less than 25 years ago you would need the permission of the next of kin. As long as you have the date of birth and death then you shouldn't need an army number.

The records cost £30 and take quite a long time (could be months) to arrive.

If he has any medals then his number could be on the rim, or if he had any children while he was in the army then his number may be on the children's birth certificates.

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Jan 2019 13:22

You may be asked to provide a copy of the death cert

Do you know which branch of the services he joined?

Can see only his birth and death online

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Jan 2019 18:27

he was in the Royal Navy Erika, thank you for your reply.

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Jan 2019 18:29

Thanks Kath I will take a look, my son in law is just starting to try and find out about his Grandfather, thanks for your reply Kath.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jan 2019 18:41

Generally, Naval service records were handed to the sailor when they left. What remains in the MOD hands is very basic.

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Jan 2019 18:42

Would the records from the Royal Navy tell which boats he was on and where he was ?, I am wanting to apply for my fathers records from Royal Navy as well, as I am sure he was on the North Atlantic Convoy.

Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Jan 2019 18:49

Thanks Detective, I have a like a parchment type record of my father's record but its difficult to read, the only thing that is really clear is his conduct which was very good all the way through, and I would like to know where he went while on the boats.

Sandra

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Jan 2019 18:49

I don't think the Royal Navy keep any records

From a post on Military Chat Board

Please don't waste your money. The Royal Navy doesn't keep records of ex-personnel. They are given to the seamen on leaving the service so that they can be used as references for job applications.

If the records still exist, the person to ask would be whoever inherited his estate when he died.

Did Henry marry?

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Jan 2019 19:30

yes he did Erika he married Violet Sinclair in Orkney in in 1948, first child was born about 2 weeks later called Terry.

Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Jan 2019 19:34

Thanks for info about service records Erika, I will try and look more carefully at my fathers record and I will let my SIL that it might be a waste of money applying for them.

SueBrewer

SueBrewer Report 28 Jan 2019 02:32

I haxe my Navy Parchment Record as you call it I scanned it or phootgraphed it put on my computer and then on my 50inch Television Then enlarged it Hope that helps

Sandra

Sandra Report 28 Jan 2019 07:14

Thanks SueBrew, I will try that.

Sandra

Pippa

Pippa Report 30 Jan 2019 00:00

Hello, Does anybody know if being a child or grandchild of someone in the navy would class as 'next of kin' if their parents have died? thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Jan 2019 00:32

The child would be next of kin, or if the child has also died then the grandchild would be next of kin.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Jan 2019 00:35

A child certainly would. A grandchild, yes probably, as long as their own parent (the child) & any other children of the service man have died. Its starting to get a bit tenuous!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 31 Jan 2019 12:19

The answer to your question about ships is Yes - certainly post-WW2. Whether it did during the war I don't know.

The seaman was given his conduct reports. One of these was written every time he left a ship and the headings included the name of the ship and the dates he joined and left. So, if they exist, you are looking for a bundle of papers, not just one with a list of ships.

Edited at 2pm. I apologise if anyone has been misled, but I have based all my replies on OH's experience of 30 years in the RN. He was an officer and it has just occurred to me that ratings may have been different - so I asked him.

For seamen a report was written each time they moved ship, but a copy was not given to them. They were given the whole lot, on one (or more) sheets of paper, when they left. These contain the dates, names of ships and a conduct report for each one, along with details of courses, exams passed, promotions, punishments, demotions etc. where applicable.

Regarding wartime, they should be similar, but if the man ever served on a ship which sank, his records will almost certainly be incomplete.

Sandra

Sandra Report 1 Feb 2019 08:59

thank you AndysMum, I will take a much closer look at my Fathers record.

Sandra