Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Edith May Searle 1888-1957

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 28 Mar 2019 09:02

Please can anyone help. I am trying to find out about Edith May Searle born 30th March 1888 Lewisham died 1957 Kent who was a singer in her younger days before she married in 1919. Her stage name was Eileen Durham and I would like to find details of where she performed under that name.
I have all the family tree info but can find nothing about her singing days.
She was married to John Grosvenor Ellis (1873-1954) on the 5th June 1919 at
St. Saviour Paddington London.
Thank you Pam

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Mar 2019 09:05

Have you tried googling her stage name

Thats what we would do :-)

How sure are you that was her stage name

Pamela

Pamela Report 28 Mar 2019 09:39

That's the first thing I did

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Mar 2019 10:37

Sorry, can’t currently access to correct the transcript or get further details. Newspapers often published articles relating to other parts of the country. These are from the BNA on Findmypast

MPERIAL HALL.
well as Topical War isenes, and “Those Love Pangs,” a tost amusing subject. Vocal selections trill be tendered by Miss Eileen Durham, loinctDai soprano from the Alhambra.
27 March 1915 - Walsall Advertiser - Walsall, Staffordshire, England

QUAINT FOLK QUAINT SETTING: In Modern Vaudeville Entertainment. Including: EILEEN DURHAM, MILLIE DEINE, The Brilliant Soprano. The Sparkling Soubrctte. GLADYS LILES, CLIFF INMAN, The Clever Violiniste. Bright and Breezy, ERNEST WESTBY',
06 May 1915 - Banbury Advertiser - Banbury, Oxfordshire, England

LEAS PAVILION,
name, that has been given to them. Miss Gladys Liles the celebrated violinst, has contributed many excellent solos. Miss Eileen Durham, a very sweet soprano, has a voice perfect in volume and expression. Miss Millie Deane, the popular comedienne, has scored
05 June 1915 - Folkestone Express, Sandgate, Shorncliffe & Hythe Advertiser - Folkestone, Kent, England

CALLS FOR NEXT WEEK
Doreena Wheeler. Tony Toner, Martin and Wm. White. Chas Vendor, June Kelly, Norma Brown, Freddie Car lisle, Lillian Pearson, Eileen Durham. IXdley Hare. Larry Wilson, Pauline West, Rita Coe. COUNTY THEATRE (READING). LTD. READING PALACE (re. 11.30). Thanks for
23 March 1950 - The Stage - London, London, England
( had a look at the image for the last one - she’s not listed in the Calls column)

There are a number of other articles which seem to relate to her. Check if your local library has free access to Findmypast or the British Newspaper Archives.

Pamela

Pamela Report 28 Mar 2019 11:48

Thank you so much that is great
Pam

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Mar 2019 16:54

Check your in-box. Message sent with 5 attachments of articles mentioning Eileen Durham. The date range is Mar - Jun 1915 when she, & the group she was a member of, seem to have been on tour.

Pamela

Pamela Report 2 Apr 2019 07:27

Thank you for all your help Pam