Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Muirhead

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 10 Apr 2019 23:09

If anyone has access to 1939 Register could they please see if you can decipher the occupation of Thomas Muirhead born 1876. The transcript says it's provisions h... porter. I can't make it out at all.

Thanks.

greyghost

greyghost Report 10 Apr 2019 23:15

15 Fonthill Road , Liverpool C.B., Lancashire, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
Thomas Muirhead 15 Dec 1876 Male Provision And H? Porter Married 95 1
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.
Gerard Anthony Curtis 13 Oct 1911 Male Nhs Clerk Married 94 3
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.
Edward Evans 25 Nov 1862 Male General Labr Es (Retired) Widowed 94 5

I think it says Provision House Porter - so a Porter in a place supplying Provisions (needed items)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Apr 2019 23:20

"provisions" used to be the term for what we might now call "groceries" ...... could be dried (eg flour, rice, etc) of fresh (cheese, butter, fruit).

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Apr 2019 23:42

I think hi occupation reads Provision & House Porter ..........

not sure what that means. Could be 2 kinds of jobs .........

Provision Porter and House Porter

House Porter definition ............. a person hired to carry burdens or baggage, as at a railroad station or a hotel. a person who does cleaning and maintenance work in a building, factory, store, etc.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 10 Apr 2019 23:48

Thanks, you both got further than I did - I couldn't make it out at all. Just for anyone else researching Thomas and is looking on the 1939 Register - he was married to Agnes Groves and that shows as a closed record.

Thanks.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Apr 2019 00:33

Yes .... FMP is slowly opening records for people born more than 100 years ago, as well as records for people whose descendants have sent in death certificates to prove they are no longer alive.

It seems to be taking longer for the transcripts to be updated ....... just one more reason for always looking at the image if you have access.

Ancestry is further behind in opening the records ..... but then they did get their access to the Register much later than FMP.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Apr 2019 09:12

The transcription bears very little resemblance to the original

Agnes is NOT a closed record, and she and Thomas are NOT in the same household as Edward Evans etc.

Agnes' DOB 11 July 1880, in case you don't have it

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Apr 2019 11:02

Thanks for that tip, EricaH. I’d sent in my mother’s DC a couple of weeks ago. Although she isn’t on the transcription, she is open on the image.