Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Beecroft Wintringham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 May 2019 12:19

Hi

This is a very cheeky post. I have found my Beecroft Wintringham on all census' (he was born in 1850, Flixton, Yorkshire).

I am trying to trace where he lived beyond the census'.

Does anyone have a subscription to Findmypast who could check the 1939 register for me, it is just saying Main Street, Borough of Bridlington, Yorkshire and I wondered if the image was viewed if it would give any further details.

I would bee eternally grateful.

Many thanks

Vicki

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 May 2019 12:25

Main Street, Bridlington R.D., Yorkshire (East Riding), England

Wintringham household
(4 people)
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Beecroft Wintringham 01 Dec 1850 Male Shoemaker (Retired) Widowed 24 1
Martha Jane Dawson 08 Jun 1883 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 24 2
Arthur Dawson 15 Aug 1883 Male Wood Feller Married 24 3
The record for this person is officially closed. Can I get around this?

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 May 2019 12:31

Main Street, Bridlington R.D., Yorkshire (East Riding), England

Wintringham household
(4 people)
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Beecroft Wintringham 01 Dec 1850 Male Shoemaker (Retired) Widowed 24 1
Martha Jane Dawson 08 Jun 1883 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 24 2
Arthur Dawson 15 Aug 1883 Male Wood Feller Married 24 3

The record for this person is officially closed. Can I get around this?

Ref: RG101/3190G/004/5 Letter Code: JCDD
© Findmypast Ltd

Sandwiched between Red House Farm and Back Lane cottage and then the Post Office, bit more Main Street and then the Foxhound Inn and Chapel Farm

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 May 2019 12:33

Rambling - thank you so much.

Unfortunately it looks like it doesn't give me anymore info as there is no house name or number - so frustrating! It seems he might be still in the same residence he has spent his married life in.

The 1891 census, shows the address as 25 High Street, Flixton, 1901 and 1911, simply say Flixton as the address. Looking at the map, there is no High Street in Flixton, only Main Street, North Street and Back Lane, so I am assuming Main Street and High Street are one and the same road. I was in Flixton yesterday and have a picture of him outside the house with his family and was trying to find it, but none of the houses have numbers, they all have names now, so I am now just trying to pinpoint it better. I have a possibility but have been thrown last night by a photo I found among my Dad's stuff which has shown the door had moved in 1966 and if the house I saw yesterday is correct, then the door has been moved back to its original place. So confusing!

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 May 2019 12:34

Thanks also greyghost!

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 May 2019 12:39

Have added a bit - computer playing up, didn't think I'd posted until switched off and started again !

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 May 2019 12:46

Hi greyghost

You have said 'Sandwiched between Red House Farm and Back Lane cottage and then the Post Office, bit more Main Street and then the Foxhound Inn and Chapel Farm'

Which bit relates to Beecroft!

I found Chapel Farm house yesterday and thought this might be my place, it is opposite the Foxhound Inn. I have a photo of the family outside the house and it is really the only possible one.

From the above, was there a house sandwiched between Red House farm and Back Lane cottage? I wonder if it has been demolished now?

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 May 2019 12:55

OK so, North Street shows on Schedule before Main Street. Last entries for North St are Belle Farm and "Blair Atholl".

Main St starts with a home and then Welborns or Welcomes Farm, and then Manor Farm.
Over the page to Black house (Sellers of ?), Bumblebee Farm, end House, World View, Main Street home, General Shop, homes x 4, Redhouse Farm, a home, Back Lane Cottage, Post Office, homes x 2, Foxhound inn, Chapel Farm, Flint Cottage, a home and then
over the page to Nos 1-9 Council houses and over again to Mount View, churned and Nos 13-20 Council Houses
over page to 21-26 council houses, General Stores, School and house then Schoolhouse Farm
Before reverting to North Street

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 May 2019 12:57

The Wintringham household referred to in my post is sandwiched between --

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 May 2019 12:58

I am going to print this off and take it with me when I next go to see if I can work it out!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 May 2019 13:05

According to 1913 Kelly's he was a "Shopkeeper and Post Office" in Flixton

There is a photo (undated) on a family tree on Ancestry which I will try to download and send to you via PM

The Probate register says he was 'of Flixton Ganton Scarborough' when he died in 1940

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 May 2019 13:09

Hi Erika. I think I know the photo you mean, it is the double fronted one with the family standing outside, my dad has the original of this, and it is from this I am trying to work out if the building is still standing. We passed through Flixton yesterday on our way home and when I realised where I was, we stopped and I got it up on my phone but Chapel Farm house was the only one that I felt it could be, or possibly HolmLea on the other side of the road, but both have had facade (if that is the right word) put on them making it difficult to be sure!

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 May 2019 13:25

Linked to this thread
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1377836?jump=1377836