Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

about graves

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 28 Jun 2019 11:57

I have been looking for my grandparents for a while. I was told they were in a certain cemetery but could find no gravestone.
Some one kindly looked up somewhere ( I don't know where, ) for me and said they are in compartment 195 and grave 61. I am puzzled to know whether I look for the compartment number or the grave number or what. names are Alice Lockwood died 1933 and Joseph Lockwood died 1937. buried in Eastern Cemetery in Kingston upon Hull. Also how do I find out who else is in the grave with them.
Hope someone can help please.
Janet Webster

malyon

malyon Report 28 Jun 2019 12:13

https://billiongraves.com/cemetery/Eastern-Cemetery-Kingston-upon-Hull/168746

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jun 2019 12:20

Probably an idea to contact Hull bereavement services, they should be able to tell you if there is a map of the cemetery to locate the grave. Be aware that old graves may have been reused so to speak, I located my grandfather's grave but there was only a headstone to someone else there.

http://www.hull.gov.uk/communities-and-living/births-and-deaths/bereavement-services

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Jun 2019 12:33

I would think that 'compartment' could be interpreted as 'section'

Bear in mind that not all graves have headstones. People couldn't always afford them

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 1 Jul 2019 00:28

When I was looking for graves I wrote to the cemetery (not in Hull) and they very kindly gave me the information. Some of the graves I found with headstones, which included the name I was looking for and others buried in the grave. Some of the graves were just grassed over and I was told that the headstones had probably been removed because they had become dangerous and could've fallen over. It's worth a visit to the cemetery office or just drop them a line - maybe even email if you can find an email address.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Jul 2019 08:58

Further to Yvonne's message.....

Sometimes it is difficult to pinpoint an individual grave ,if there are many grassed ones.
I have found a grave by noting locations and names of nearby headstones in the records, then working out how many plots away your required one is.

Janet

Janet Report 1 Jul 2019 16:17

Thank you for all the information, it is very helpful.
Have Contacted bereavement services.
Your all very helpful and thank you