Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Metzner + 1939 register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Jul 2019 10:54

Its likely that the following had been evacuated

Florence Beatrice Metzner dob consistently 28 Aug 1903
3 children who are probably redacted
Leonard William Metzner 1926-2017
Olive Beatrice Duffield (Metzner) 20 Oct 1927 - 2001
Daughter 1936

Their father/husband was still in London

William J Metzner
Marital status: Married
Birth Date: 2 May 1900
Residence Year: 1939
Address: 22
Residence Place: Woolwich, London, England
Schedule Number: 258
Sub Schedule Number: 1
Enumeration District: AZKB
Registration district: 29/2

Can anyone find Florence & her children please? The surname could have been poorly transcribed.

Maddie

Maddie Report 16 Jul 2019 11:49

for ref
FLORENCE BEATRICE
Last name METZNER
Gender Female
Birth day 28
Birth month 8
Birth year 1903
Age -
Death quarter 1
Death year 1979
District Bexley
County Kent
Volume 11
Page 0442

Name: Florence Beatrice Metzner
Year: 1938
County or Borough: Newham
Ward or Division/Constituency: Woolwich
Street address: 22 Camrose Street

with william john metzner

not seeing her on 1939

Maddie

Maddie Report 16 Jul 2019 12:52

Florence Beatrice Metzner

in the London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965

Name: Florence Beatrice Metzner
Year: 1939
County or Borough: Newham
Ward or Division/Constituency: Woolwich
Street address: 22 Camrose Street

with william j

perhaps her death reord has not bee picked up for 1939 register

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Jul 2019 13:02

But she's not with William J on 1939 Register - no closed records with him.

Death may not have been picked up, but in any case, she was living elsewhere.

Maddie

Maddie Report 16 Jul 2019 13:51

sorry didn't make myself clear, mean't if death not picked up she will not be on 1939 reg anywhere, although on er for 1939 she was not living at that address when 1939 reg created

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Jul 2019 18:01

With a yob of 1903, even if it might have looked like 1908, her entry should have been opened.

Never mind. Thanks for trying, ladies

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Jul 2019 00:05

Not necessarily, DET ............

my uncle born 1895, died Australia, was only recently opened on the 1939 ...... and his surname began with C

It's taking both sites a long long time to do this opening of closed records!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Jul 2019 09:45

How soon records are opened is very variable.

The record of a friend of mine, who only died in 2016, is already open.

But perhaps new deaths are picked up more readily than those longer ago.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Jul 2019 18:08

I tried variations of Meztner using the *, and looked for Florence/Florence B/Florence Beatrice without surname but with date of birth, or only with 1903.

I also looked for all Metzner, with no other names or birth year ......... there were 39 came up on FMP, some born as late as the 1930s, but none of this family.

Nada

I'm wondering whether her name and those of the children were written under the same surname as whoever was Head of where she she was living, or ahead of her in the list

Is that a possibility???????

I guess we have to find Olive's name on the 1939 Register before DET or someone could submit the death certificate and ask for the record to be opened?

They wouldn't look for it, or be able to look for it, would they??

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Jul 2019 18:45

Maybe they evacuated to Scotland ? In which case you won't find them in 1939 without sending death cert and paying money.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Jul 2019 20:46

Interesting additional suggestions - yes, I had considered they may have gone out of England, but dismissed the idea. This lot never seemed to travel much, not even as far north of the Watford Gap. :-D

They might indeed have been transcribed with the same surname as the head of the household. Pity we don't know who that might be.

It doesn't really matter as they are rather distant twigs. All the same, it would have been nice to tie up the loose ends.

Thanks for trying.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Jul 2019 21:43

Even if Florence had been given the wrong surname, her first name and DOB should still be correct, or nearly so.

I've looked at all the Florences with that DOB, and many pages of Florences born on other dates, looking for any who are married but don't have husbands with them, are not in paid employment, have closed records with them, don't live in London - but no sign of anyone who might be your Florence.

I didi wonder about this one, in case she hadn't wanted to use a German-sounding surname - but this Florence only has one closed record with her, so can't be your Florence (assuming all the children would have been with her):

Florence Smith
in the 1939 England and Wales Register
Name: Florence Smith
Marital status: Married
Birth Date: 28 Aug 1903
Residence Year: 1939
Address: 257
Residence Place: Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Schedule Number: 77
Sub Schedule Number: 5
Enumeration District: TVBJ
Registration district: 213-1
Household Members:
Name
Arthur F Collins
Harriett Collins
Hilda O Toskit
Donald C Andrews
Florence Smith - evacuee <<<<<<<<<<<<
(one closed record)

Incidentally [ and nothing to do with this thread! ], it's surprising how many Florences born in 1903 were patients in mental hospitals in 1939.

Dea

Dea Report 19 Jul 2019 08:51

I think that you may well have found Florence AG !!

I had thought it most likely that they would have altered their surname in someway as a german sounding name would mean that few people were liable to host them.

I also think it likely that they would have been evacuated seperately i.e. the under shool age child would go with the mother whilst the school age childrem would be sent in a group, probably accompanied by teachers etc. to their destination.

Because of their ages, the two older children would most probably be 'redacted' on the 1939 index, even assuming that they most probably also had a change of name - it would be highly unlikely that we would be able to find them.

Dea x

EDIT:
Sorry, I meant to post this site for you so you could read some info about it - it is very interesting !!

https://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/articles/the-evacuation-of-children-during-the-second-world-war/

Dea x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Jul 2019 13:17

Brilliant, AG. Thank you so much for all of your time & the effort you put into this.

Dea, you could be right about the school aged children being evacuated separately, especially if they didn’t know anyone who could take them all in.