Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

School attendance records- Northern Ireland??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Jul 2019 09:51

Just looking for advise or pointers please, as this part of my family has been kindly researched in depth by you before.

Regarding my Grandfather John Campbell Lester Lynn born 3rd January 1900, at Barnhill, Larne, Antrim. NI.

Parents William Lester Lynn and Mary Lynn.

I have William, Mary and John age 1 on the 1901 census living at 7 Curran Street, Larne, and then again in 1911 William and John age 11 (no Mary) at 7 Coopers Lane, Larne.

I am trying to find out if there are any school records in this area, so I can establish, if possible, where John went to school.

Have Googled it but didn't get anywhere.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Jul 2019 10:25

I can't find any school records. Is this the family in the 1901 census living with John's grandparents? :-

First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Marital status Age Birth year Birth place

John Lynn Head of Family Married 56 1845 Antrim
Margrate Lynn Wife Married 55 1846 Antrim
William Lynn Son Married 31 1870 Antrim
Mary Lynn Daughter in Law Married 21 1880 Antrim
John J Lynn Grand Son Single 1 1900 Antrim
Mary Campbell Sister in Law Single 35 1866 Antrim

Address given as Curran Street, Larne. Maybe John J should read John L.

The 1911 census has William recorded as married so Mary should be somewhere.

Kath. x

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Jul 2019 10:33

Yes, that's the one Kathleen.

We were hoping that if we could find out where John went to school it "may" help us to find where Mary was in 1911, but I didn't want to go over all that again regards to Mary because GR were really helpful to me a couple of years ago, we couldn't find her then.

We thought if we could piece together our Grandfathers life in those early years it might lead to something with regards to his Mum, we are clutching at straws really.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Jul 2019 18:55

Can you find a present-day school near the 1911 address?

Contacting the school direct may help to locate old records for the area.
End of term or beginning of new school year are likely to be rather too busy for them to help, but a quieter time might bring a response.

I contacted a small village school in Wales and told them I was interested in family who had lived at a particular address around 1915 and the school still held the records and were most helpful, even telling me about a cousin who was staying there from elsewhere in Wales.

Deborah

Deborah Report 19 Jul 2019 06:28

Thats a very good idea Gwyn, thank you for that. I would hope there are not that many in Larne.

Thank you.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 19 Jul 2019 07:46

Below from google...

Chris :)

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/PT1901L1.htm

1901 Belfast / Ulster Street Directory

Chris :)

LARNE
PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS
Larne and Inver National School - Principal, Wm. C. Paisley, R.U.I.; assistants, H. Ferguson, Jos. Barklie, Miss E. McManus, and Miss O'Brien
Larne Grammar School - Head master, W. Dawson, LL.B., T.C.D.
Larne National Schools - Boys' department - Principal, W. J. Crooks; assistant, Alex. Stewart. Girls' department - Principal, Miss Whiteford. Infant Department - Miss Moore
Larne National School (No. 2) - Principal, Miss McQuoid; assistants, Miss Hill and Miss Beggs
North End National Schools - The McKenna Memorial - Principal, Thomas Clearkin; assistants, J. Smyth and Mr. Crelly. St. Mary's - Principal, Mrs. Tierney; assistants, Miss K. A. Coghlan and Miss Quayle
Olderfleet National School, Curran Street - Principal, Edwd. Young; assistants, Jos. Youle and Miss S. Craig
Private Schools - Miss Cunningham, Main Street; Miss Callwell, The Roddens; The Misses Malseed, Thorndale Avenue; Miss Mackinlay, Barnhill Terrace
St. John's Place National School - Principal, Miss Douglas; assistant, Miss Britten

Deborah

Deborah Report 19 Jul 2019 18:15

Thank you Chris, sorry for delay with reply, have been out all day.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Jul 2019 22:22

The earlier (long) thread about Mary and the family, for reference:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1370379

Deborah

Deborah Report 20 Jul 2019 09:25

Thank you AG.

Deborah

Deborah Report 20 Jul 2019 12:11

Am just putting this on here for info.

Thank you AG for linking my previous thread to this one, I didn't know how to do it.

Thank you all also for all the help you gave me 18 months ago, you identified 7 of my Great Grandmothers (Mary's) siblings, and with all that information you found for me and also DNA testing I have managed to find, and get in touch with 3 living relatives who are related to 3 of Mary's siblings. These 3 cousins are delighted we have found each other.

We were never told she had any brothers or sisters.

Still got a big gap in Mary's life, and I am sure I will find where she was in time, am hoping the 1921 census may help.

In the meantime I shall write to the schools and see what I can find out about my Grandfather, you never know what will turn up.

It proves that if you wait long enough you can get there in the end.

Thank you so much GR. Couldn't have done it without you.
xx