Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Date of birth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 20 Dec 2019 22:47

Is there any way I can find the date of birth of a descendant ?
The record shows the year of birth and the quarter but not the actual date.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Dec 2019 22:52

Welcome to the boards, Christine.

You say this is a descendant's birth - so it must be relatively recent, in which case you'll have to buy a copy of the birth cert to find out the actual date.

If you mean an ancestor's birth, it depends on how long ago it was - sometimes there's a baptism record which might give the DOB as well as date of baptism

If the person was alive in 1939, and has since died, it may be possible to find them on the 1939 Register, which would give a DOB - though not always accurate.

The foolproof way is to buy the birth cert.
As I assume you have the volume and page ref numbers, you can buy a copy of the cert here:

https://www.gro.gov.uk

You have to register to use the site.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Dec 2019 23:05

If it’s a recent birth then maybe they are on Facebook and have included their full birth date in their profile

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Dec 2019 10:05

Are you sure you mean 'descendant'? Your descendants are your children, if you have any, and their children

Still, whatever the relationship, the birth cert is the answer

If the birth was between 1837 and 1918, you can order a PDF version from the GRO website, which will cost less than the £11.00 for a 'full' version

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Catherine

Catherine Report 21 Dec 2019 16:19

If the person has died, you can sometimes find a birth date on their death record.