Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 register Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 6 Mar 2020 12:12

Apologies if this topic has been raised before.

All the help given for the McGregor family previously has meant my friend did manage to trace her biological Father, so thanks to everyone who helped with that.

He passed away in 2006.

However my friend thinks she has found details of a brother in 1947.

In order to confirm he is the right sibling perhaps the 1939 Scottish register would help.

Having had a trawl today we see the records are sealed.

Any suggestions as to what reason would be considered valid to have a search done?

Many thanks

Sue

greyghost

greyghost Report 6 Mar 2020 13:34

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/nhs-central-register/about-the-register/1939-national-identity-register-and-how-to-order-an-official-extract

One paragraph says - "Please note that an extract of an entry from the register can only be issued if the person has since died and appropriate evidence can be provided."

Various sites, you may have seen them, via google with information re the 1939 for Scotland.

However, if the person was born in 1947 I can't see how the 1939 would help???

Also info at - https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/national-register

You should be able to send for the 1947 certificate through the Scotland's People website or you can look it up if you are in Edinburgh

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2020 14:17

How would 1939 help with identifying someone born in 1947?

The birth cert is the obvious solution.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 6 Mar 2020 14:51

Sorry I meant she found details of him in 1947 not that he was born then.

Flora McGowan (friend's Aunt)
John MacGregor (friend's Father)
Catherine MacGregor (friend's Aunt)
and the new George F MacGregor

all living at Church Lane W5

Sue

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2020 15:46

You say in your OP that the records are sealed, so they simply can't be accessed.

The only way to get records opened is to provide a death cert

Presumably, the 1947 record is an ER - so George F must have been at least 21 years of age

Look for a birth...................or a death

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2020 15:52

The father?

McGREGOR, JOHN 1914
GRO Reference: DOR Q2/2006 in Ealing (2261A) Reg A53D Entry Number 239

If it is, he couldn't have fathered a son who would have been at least 21 in 1947

The other man could be HIS brother - or simply someone with the same surname

Maddie

Maddie Report 6 Mar 2020 15:56

this is the er, ancestry does not show any helpful hints

Name: George F Macgregor
Electoral Date: 1947
Ward or Division/Constituency: Ealing South
County or Borough: Ealing, England
Reference Number: MR/PER/C/0731

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 6 Mar 2020 16:14

ErikaH no their Father was Hugh 1875 - 1934

John (friend's Father b. 1914

x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2020 16:16

So, whose sibling are you looking for?

John's - or your friend's? Your OP reads (to me) that your friend has found his/her brother

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 6 Mar 2020 17:25

Looking for the birth details for George F MacGregor (McGregor) who was living ith family in W5 in 1947.

Friend strongly suspects this chap is her Father (John) brother. Without DOB it's not obvious from the Scottish records which birth is his because there are none in the registration district Gorbals where other siblings were born.

x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Mar 2020 17:29

Googling for info brings this up

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
The register taken in Scotland in 1939 was called the "National Identity Register" it contains details of Name, address, marital status, age and occupation. It is not available to view online. You are correct that each record has to be purchased individually at a cost of £15 plus 89p postage.17 May 2018

1939 register for scotland (Scotland) Page 1 RootsChat.Comwww.rootschat.

Thought I had seen the Scottish register wasn’t an open record or online

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 6 Mar 2020 18:19

Thanks Shirley that’s the problem.

Friend only had her biological Father’s name for 60 odd years so finally finding him was fantastic. That only managed via DNA with one of Flora’s offspring. She needs as many siblings as possible to try to get information on him to feel ‘rooted’

Thanks to all, I’ll speak to her about contacting them for advice

X

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Mar 2020 18:55

Wild stab in the dark, to more or less fit with a Glasgow birth:

??
George F McGregor
in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007
Name: George F McGregor
Death Age: 30
Birth Date: abt 1920
Registration Date: Apr 1950
[May 1950]
[Jun 1950]
Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
Registration district: Gosport
Inferred County: Hampshire
Volume: 6d
Page: 281

Birth???

MCGREGOR
GEORGE FERGUSON
M
644/22 400
Partick

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 6 Mar 2020 19:18

Thanks Gran, we did look at that one - working on the assumption that George was unmarried in 1947 and therefore possibly one of the younger siblings. Shame his records are not available to view :-(

All your help (together with others) solved the mystery of the biological Father (who she barely remembers). Adding more to the family may give her more information which I think she needs. Too late to get more from her Father.

This has been jolly difficult but not as bad as her Maternal side - Latvian with possible Russian grandparents - that is a nightmare :-S

Sue x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Mar 2020 09:55

The simple solution is to get a copy of the birth cert

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Mar 2020 11:41

The Gosport death may not be the right man, in view of this marriage (unless they had separated before 1947):

Marriages Sep 1944 (>99%)
MCGREGOR George F Wright Gosport 2b 1307
WRIGHT Barbara M McGregor Gosport 2b 1307

But the Partick birth is still a possibility.

The only George F M*Gregor birth in a reasonable timeframe for a brother of John in Glasgow before 1920 was in 1907 - and that one's parents were not Hugh and Flora, so he's not a brother of John, though I suppose he could be some other relation. His full name is George Frederick Melvin McGregor, and his parents are John and Mary (nee Melvin). He appears not to have died in Scotland.

You say "we did look at that one" - do you mean the 1950 death, or the 1920 birth I posted? And to what extent did you "look" at it? Did you buy the actual cert to see the details?

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 7 Mar 2020 19:36

We looked at the records independently and both favoured the 1920 birth in Partick. Just using what logic we possess and gut feeling.

Friend has spent a lot of money of certificates up to date and we were really trying to pin down the most likely candidate so friend didn't order a useless copy certificate. 70 year olds on a state pension have to watch the pennies.

Thanks for all your help

Sue x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Mar 2020 19:52

Yes, I appreciate your friend's point of view. I'm one of those pensioners too!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Mar 2020 12:37

Perhaps if someone asks what she wants for her birthday - or Christmas - she could ask for a copy of the birth cert

That's what this OAP would do...............