Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Mitchell

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

katqueen

katqueen Report 11 Mar 2020 18:28

Am trying to find the name of the wife of John Mitchell .He was born in Glasgow,Scotland in 1893 and died also in Glasgow in 1969. His daughter Eliabeth was born in Glasgow in1915. She married Samuel Leslie born in1911 and they had 4 children Margaret, Francis,John and James, I have been unable to find any record of the wife of John Mitchell anywhere or of the birth of his daughter Eliabeth [Sorry, I have a dead key. Hope you realise which letter is missing in that name]
Thankyou in advance for you help

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Mar 2020 18:44

How do you know that the daughter was born in Glasgow if you haven’t found a record?

I assume you’ve looked at Scotland’s People website...............

katqueen

katqueen Report 11 Mar 2020 18:57

Hi Rika. His granddaughter knows those dates through her father. Unfortunately her father could not remember his grandmothers maiden name but he thought it might be Harkness. I couldn't find anything with that name either' No I haven't looked at Scotlands People website. Will do so.

safc

safc Report 11 Mar 2020 18:58

from scotlands people
????
ESLIE

SAMUEL JOHN

MITCHELL

ELIZABETH HARKN

644/9 70

Kelvingrove

safc

safc Report 11 Mar 2020 19:01

MITCHELL

ELIZABETH HARKN

F

644/11 183

Anderston

katqueen

katqueen Report 11 Mar 2020 19:01

Hi safc. That sounds like it as that is very similar to Harkness. Thankyou so much.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2020 20:45

The middle name of both Elizabeths probably actually IS Harkness.

SP only puts a certain number of characters in the transcription of names - so the "ness" has been chopped off, but will be there on the original document.

If you register with SP, and buy credits (minimum 30 credits, for £7.50) you can view and print the images of the original documents.
It will cost 6 credits per document.

Incidentally, another Elizabeth Harkness Mitchell was born in Anderston in 1896.
Would that be a sister of John?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2020 21:00

Death of Elizabeth Leslie (nee Mitchell):

MITCHELL [ also listed as Leslie ]
ELIZABETH HARKN
mms THOMSON
615/ 337
Glasgow, Martha St

So there are three possibilities for John's marriage. However, the one in Glassford is probably too early - he would only have been 16:

MITCHELL
JOHN MACGREGOR
THOMSON
JANET
645/ 8
Glassford

MITCHELL
JOHN TURNBULL
THOMSON
MARGARET C
644/11 258
Anderston

MITCHELL
JOHN
THOMSON
ELIZABETH
456/ 21
Scoonie (Fife)

Did your John have a middle name?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2020 21:06

Is this John's death? It's the only one in or near Glasgow.

MITCHELL
JOHN
575/ 32
Renfrew

In which case the Fife marriage is probably the correct one - especially as the bride is an Elizabeth.

katqueen

katqueen Report 12 Mar 2020 18:55

Argyll Gran. Many thanks for your help. I think all your information is correct. I am grateful to all who helped.