Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dorothy Farrer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 30 Mar 2020 19:43

I have Dorothy Farrer, born 23 October 1916 in Liverpool, to parents John Farrer and Catherine Emily Snowdon.
A family note says she married George F. Nicholson in 1936 and at some point went to New York.
If anyone with world access could find when she went to USA I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Mar 2020 19:48

Start by finding the marriage by looking at freebmd

Then look for possible children so you have a time-scale for any migration

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Mar 2020 19:58

She is on the 1939 register in Birkenhead , so her death has been picked up, which would be unlikely if she lived in the States

Probable child in 1937 and one in 1949

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 30 Mar 2020 20:02

Yes, there is a marriage of a Dorothy Farrer to George Nicholson but without the certificate I can't be certain it's the right Dorothy.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Mar 2020 20:02

She died in Liverpool in 1974
Easily found on freebmd

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 30 Mar 2020 21:40

I have a letter from a family member that states that she had had a letter from Dorothy in New York, but that's all it says. The letter was written in February 2004. I suppose she could've been visiting but she was definitely in New York in 2003/2004.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 30 Mar 2020 22:06

There are no travel records as recent as that online.
Anyway, it must be a different Dorothy who was in New York.

As Erika says, your Dorothy died in 1974:

Deaths Jun 1974 (>99%)
NICHOLSON DOROTHY [ DOB - 23 OC 1916 ] LIVERPOOL 36 701

Perhaps it was Dorothy's daughter who was in NY ??

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 30 Mar 2020 22:24

I was beginning to think that maybe the Dorothy who married George Nicholson wasn't my Dorothy but that birth date you give is definitely correct. Maybe she was visiting New York, but by 2004 she'd have been a bit old for that. Maybe she did have a daughter. I'll have to see if I can contact the family member who had the letter, though we haven't been in touch for a number of years.

Thanks for your help Erika and ArgyllGran.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Mar 2020 10:06

As already advised, if you look on FreeBMD you'll see the names of her children.

Search "Births", entering both parents' surnames (nothing else), click "Find", and on the resulting list you'll see two born in Liverpool.

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Mar 2020 17:21

1939 as mentioned above

Horatio Scott 02 Feb 1867 Male Director Ltd Company Chemical Fertilizer Married 143 1
Margaret A Scott 22 Oct 1866 Female Unpaid Domestc Duties Married 143 2
Mary E Chambers 29 Sep 1887 Female Trained Sick Nurse Single 143 4
Dorothy Nicholson 23 Oct 1916 Female Domestic Servant Married 143 5

her daughter is not with her

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 31 Mar 2020 22:08

Thanks again. I tried to contact the family member but she must've changed her email as it bounced back.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Mar 2020 22:18

We are not posting Dorothy's children's names on here, as they may still be living - but see FreeBMD as advised above.

Ancestry suggests that the son married in Coventry in 1973, and died in Coventry in 2013, but you'd need to see the records to be sure - or at least buy his birth cert to find out his exact DOB.