Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mil(l)icent Brown nee Cater born 1796

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 6 Apr 2020 14:10

I wonder if anyone else can trace my 4x GG beyond the 1851 census, where she and husband John are found at Reform Place, New Sleaford, Lincolnshire (she is incorrectly recorded as MIldred). John died in Jan 1861 in Sleaford, I have traced his burial to the cemetery there. I cannot find any trace of a death registration for Milicent after the 1851 census, nor a 2nd marriage, nor any later census entries. Milicent was born in nearby Heckington. I have traced the whereabouts of her 5 surviving children - all daughters, she is not with any of them in 1861.

greyghost

greyghost Report 6 Apr 2020 15:28

For our info -

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Reform Place, New Sleaford, Sleaford, Lincolnshire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
John Brown Head Married Male 60 1791 Labourer Sleaford, Lincolnshire, England
Mildred Brown Wife Married Female 55 1796 - Sleaford, Lincolnshire, England
Sarah Brown Daughter Unmarried Female 20 1831 - Sleaford, Lincolnshire, England

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Apr 2020 16:30

John was 65 when he died, so born c1795. Not that it affects the search for Millicent ;-) ;-)

malyon

malyon Report 6 Apr 2020 18:52

Name:
Mrs Millicent Brown
Event Type:
Obituary
Event Date:
4 Feb 1859
Event Place:
Stamford, Lincolnshire, England, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original):
Stamford, Lincolnshire, England
Event Place Note:
182-2999
Birth Year (Estimated):
Death Date:
28 Jan 1859
Newspaper:
Lincoln Rutland and Stamford Mercury
Page Number:
Publication Date:
4 Feb 1859

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Apr 2020 20:16

Great find, malyon

The only death which matches is for an Amelia Brown aged 62, in Sleaford district. Buried Jan 31st

If the person registering the death referred to her as ‘Millie’, the registrar may have interpreted it incorrectly as Amelia. Clutching at straws, I know. Will have to look for an Amelia of right age in 1851 to cross-check.

alviegal

alviegal Report 6 Apr 2020 21:22

Brilliant malyon!

New Sleaford, on the 28th alt., Melicent Brown, aged 62
04 February 1859 - Lincolnshire Chronicle - Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England

Julie

Julie Report 7 Apr 2020 14:24

Many thanks to all of you, I'm struggling to find either newpaper article. Did you find these on FMP or was it the British Newspaper Archive or somewhere else?

alviegal

alviegal Report 7 Apr 2020 14:27

I found mine on FMP Julie. There is no other information, just what I've copied. Note the spelling of her name.

Julie

Julie Report 7 Apr 2020 14:34

Correction. have now tracked down the Lincolnshire Chronicle article. Will have another search for the Mercury report.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Apr 2020 15:18

The Stamford Mercury for 4 Feb 1859 is on BNA - though without a sub I can't look at it.

https://tinyurl.com/wjmp76f

Julie

Julie Report 7 Apr 2020 15:29

Thanks ArgyllGran, I don't have a sub either, but the paper should be on FMP so will hunt for it there.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Apr 2020 16:20

Having now looked at page 5 of the 4 Feb 1859 edition of the Stamford Mercury on GR, I don't see any mention of Millicent Brown.

Julie

Julie Report 7 Apr 2020 23:16

I thought I wasn't seeing the wood from the trees, I couldn't see her either. At least the Chronicle does give me a death for Millicent. Thanks to those who tracked this down.