Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

2 burials Cumberland parish registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marian

Marian Report 26 Jun 2020 16:14

Hello, could someone take a look at two burials please. The first Richard Hodgson Edmondson buried 2 July 1802 aged 47 and Anne Edmondson burield 30 June 1820 aged 77. This is off Family Search. Both of Acorn Bank, Temple Sowerby. I don't think they were man and wife, age gap rather large. I have downloaded Richard's Will off National Archives (free) and I can just about see that Anne gets a mention. In Anne's Will she leaves everything to her niece's (Mary Boazman) children. I just wondered if the burial record would show any relationships of either of them.
The writing in the Wills is very difficult to read. Thank you.

Just as an extra bit of info, Acorn Bank, Cumbria passed down the family, the last three through the female line, with Mary Boazman (above) being the last.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jun 2020 16:38

Haven't located a burial yet - but is this relevant?

First name(s) Richard Hodgson
Last name Edmondson
Alias Richard Hodgson
Marriage year 1785
Marriage date 24 Aug 1785
Denomination Roman Catholic
Parish St Mary's Cathedral
Place Edinburgh
Diocese St Andrews & Edinburgh
County Midlothian
Country Scotland
Spouse's first name(s) Anne
Spouse's last name Norton
Spouse's alias Anne
Archive
The Scottish Catholic Archives
Reference MP/74

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jun 2020 16:40

If the woman was 77 in 1820, she'd only have been 59 in 1802, so not SUCH a big gap

Marian

Marian Report 26 Jun 2020 16:43

Sorry Erika Anne was buried 1810 not 1820.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jun 2020 16:44

No other records on either FMP or Ancestry - apart from the Will, which you already have

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jun 2020 16:50

From SP

EDMONDSON or NORTON
RICHARD HODGSON
NORTON
ANNE
24/8/1785
Edinburgh, St Mary's Cathedral

I used some credits to see the image

Richard is the son of John Hodgson and Elizabeth Edmondson

Anne Norton is the daughter of William Norton and Mary Dalston of Acorn Bank,

Perhaps he married her for her property and money!

Marian

Marian Report 26 Jun 2020 16:58

Thank you Erika and thank you for using your credits, which I appreciate.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jun 2020 17:21

That's no problem.

I'll try to send you the image for your records.

Marian

Marian Report 26 Jun 2020 17:42

Many thanks Erika, it came through just fine.

alviegal

alviegal Report 26 Jun 2020 19:07

'...no monument to them survives in the church or the churchyard. Their eldest daughter, Anne, succeeded them: She married Mr Richard Hodgson Edmondson, and they made Acorn Bank their home. Mr Edmondson died in 1802 and his wife in 1810. They had no children, and the...'
09 November 1954 - Penrith Observer - Penrith, Cumberland, England

An article on the house and all the families who lived in it. Sir William Dalston was the last of the Dalstons and he died in 1771. The male line died with him and his sister Mary, wife of William Norton inherited at the age of 64 living for another 24 years. Her husband died in 1789.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Jun 2020 22:08

Intriguing - I wonder why they married in Edinburgh?

??
Richard Hodgson
in the England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
Name: Richard Hodgson
Baptism Date: 12 Oct 1755
Baptism Place: Harrington,Cumberland,England
Father: Jno Hodgson
FHL Film Number: 90625

Marian

Marian Report 27 Jun 2020 15:46

Hello, thank you Alvie and Argyll. It was a catholic church in Edinburgh. I think the catholic church frowned on mixed faith marriages so maybe that's why they married there. I am going to ask a friend to print both wills and then get them blown up on a photocopier and try and translate them. The old english flamboyant alphabet is very hard to decipher. Best regards.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Jun 2020 16:31

Perhaps I'm beingoverly cynical, but Richard marrying a much older woman makes me think he was hoping for a good inheritance, but, as he died first, he was disappointed ;-)

Marian

Marian Report 27 Jun 2020 16:45

Yes Erika you are probably right, especially as he was a lot younger. He probably didn't expect to pop his clogs before her.